Thread: added new user, but new user cannot log in

Beans

added new user, but new user cannot log in

I was setting up my new ratel perfomance desktop and everything was going great when I had hit a snag when I added a new user to the machine. I've got system admin privileges and the new user has "standard" privileges.

The new users' name shows up on the login screen and her password is recognized, but each time when she logs in she is thrown back to the login screen. I tried to login using her password and got the same results. [Yes, neither she nor I misstyped the password]

What is curious is when I set up her up as new user and logged into her account the login went as expected. The problem started after I copied her home directory (backed up from an old machine running Ubuntu 9.10) over to the new machine using rsync. I copied my files from that same old machine using rsync, but in my case everything went as expected.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Beans

Re: added new user, but new user cannot log in

Did you ensure the copied home directory has the correct ownership and permissions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You probably need to change the ownership of her home to her new user. What can catch you out is that the username doesn't matter, it's the numeric id that's important. With Ubuntu, the first user that you create when installing is 1000 and the next is 1001, then 1002, 1003 etc etc

You can check this with the id command
    Last edited by nothingspecial; February 3rd, 2014 at 10:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Did you ensure the copied home directory has the correct ownership and permissions?
    Second that. If you did that correctly, it might be a Xorg problem. Not sure exactly how to fix it, but if you need me to i can do some digging(got tonnes of time, cause i do not wanna do school)
    "I'm fat, but at least i'm not a windows" ~Tux

Hardy Heron was my birthplace.

Beans

Thanks for every ones help on this problem.

As iturned out it was a permissions problem and also a file ownership problem.

The permissions problem was resolved using the GUI and file ownership problem was resolved using the chown command.
    Last edited by jfholla; February 6th, 2014 at 04:46 AM.