Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Installing linux on win 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Installing linux on win 8

@ oldfred,

I don't know what the installer did, I will need to examine the results. I just let the installer have the entire disk and let it do its thing. I'll take a look and see what happened later and let you know.

Somebody else who also has a Windows 8 laptop approached me yesterday to see if I can install Ubuntu for him, - my boss! So I have the two most important people in my life wanting me to install Ubuntu for them. I can't afford for anything to go wrong or my life could be made miserable for some time.
    Having the revomed the entire Windows 8 and having it completely out of the equation makes everything a lot simpler. It's worth a hundred bucks for a new hard disk the peace of mind of knowing they can just switch hard disks again if they ever want to.
    Last edited by Herman; February 7th, 2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Okey so im ready to install Xubuntu instead. But i know i will do as i did last time, one thing im unsure about thought, should i check over the box saying format on /root and home ? Or is it possible without format?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Especially if you have any data in /home that you want to save you do not check format. Still best to have good backups of any of your data. If no data to save or right after another install you can check format.

I would normally check format for a new install for / (root), so it is clean. But sometimes to do a repair install you may want to not check it. Then all the system files and settings are refreshed, but some old data may be left, rarely would you want the old kernels or log files.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Especially if you have any data in /home that you want to save you do not check format. Still best to have good backups of any of your data. If no data to save or right after another install you can check format.

I would normally check format for a new install for / (root), so it is clean. But sometimes to do a repair install you may want to not check it. Then all the system files and settings are refreshed, but some old data may be left, rarely would you want the old kernels or log files.

Okey
    Yeah i will probably format root and home then. IM just worried it will somehow erase my ntfs windows partitions.. I dont know why tought, if i do exactly as i did last time

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The auto install does not always see Windows, and if it does not see it because it is hibernated or has other issues, then it may overinstall. Never had issues with manual install except the one time I selected the wrong partition to reformat.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234