Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wireless connection has disappeared! Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on Advent T1600

Beans

Re: Wireless connection has disappeared! Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on Advent T1600

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Importantly, I am logging in wirelessly using 13.10 - the change has automagically fixed it! I will need further advice though: should I change to 13.10, or should I seek out the driver and install that with my current distro?
    If you believe it was the newer driver in 13.10, you may install just its driver on the current version (12.04). It can be as simple as installing the backported drivers from withing the repository, or can be a little more work as downloading the backports package > compiling > installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cbthomson View Post
    In a bizarre twist; I've rebooted in 12.04 - I've been logged on here as cbthomson, and the wifi connection has started up automatically with no issues! In which case, I'll stick with 12.04 for now; although 13.10 was pretty cool.

Is there anything I can check or run that would give those with more ubuntu tuned minds an insight into this for future issues that other users might have?
    Apart from syslog and dmesg (the log files /var/log/syslog and /var/log/dmesg), I don't think anything else can shed more light on success/failure reasons. They are huge, so you may have to analyse them yourself to be able to post only the relevant parts (or upload them at pastebin.ubuntu.com, and just give their link here, although not many people would be interested in analyzing the whole log unless you ask any of them specifically for help).

For usual information, you may use the detailed output options with regular commands, like "lspci -vvnn", followed by stripping out the details of all but the wifi related info. The "sudo lshw -C network" command can also provide some useful info, but probably not more useful than what we already have.

PS:
    For the dual user id issue, you may (probably 'Should') post a thread in Resolution Center, requesting the admins whatever you want with your accounts (like which one you want to keep, which one to discard).
    Last edited by varunendra; February 12th, 2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Thanks again Varun, if it won't be of any use to people I'll not bother with posting any outputs - it was just in case something similar happened to others.

At present I'll just let things run as they are; a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and I have so little knowledge it is scary.

From looking at the Resolution pages, it seems the advice to people who have multiple IDs after the changeover to SSO is just to ignore the one they don't want, so I'll check and see which of the two accounts is linked to my Ubuntu One account and use that one.

One final time, thanks for all your help Varun - it is greatly appreciated.

Beans

It looks like I had two email accounts attached to these, that was the problem. Unfortunately when hotmail and outlook merged all my emails get stuck in the same place, so I hadn't differentiated. I'll mark this thread as solved and close this account. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    One final time, thanks for all your help Varun - it is greatly appreciated.
    You're welcome, as always !
    Varun

Beans

In a pretty frustrating twist, the same thing has happened again! Unfortunately this time loading 13.04 isn't helping either, and the ethernet cable isn't connecting - it is going through a cycle of attempting to connect, failing and trying again! Any ideas? I'm fearing that there may be some terminal problem here

Beans

I suggest you post a new thread with a suitable title, post the details of problems there, and give me the link (here or via PM).

I am extremely short of time these days, so a new thread will have a much better chance of getting help from other people, who may be able to offer better solution and be more consistent than I can be. I'm a bit free today, but may not be in the coming weeks.

In fact, I am thinking of posting in your new thread only if I found some obvious problem and a (hopefully) definite solution for it. Fortunately for you, there ARE people here who are much-much better than me with these issues.
    Varun

Beans

Will do, thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123