Thread: Does Compiz work with Ubuntu 13.10 GNOME?

Beans

Does Compiz work with Ubuntu 13.10 GNOME?

I am trying to configure Compiz on Ubuntu 13.10 GNOME (3.8) official release. Let me start by saying I have never used Compiz before. I installed CCSM and what I thought to be a GNOME patch and I cannot get it to work at all. Would somebody please provide a step-by-step for me for configuring Compiz or tell me what I could be missing? In my infinite searches on the topic I found somewhere where I should enable the 4 desktops under "Appearance" in my system settings, however Appearance settings do not seem to be there at all. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Does Compiz work with Ubuntu 13.10 GNOME?

In Synaptic, you'll need to enable the following:
    compiz
    compiz-core
    compiz-gnome
    compiz-plugins
    compiz-plugins-default
    compiz-plugins-extra
    compiz-plugins-main
    compiz-plugins-main-default
    compizconfig-backend-gconf
    compizconfig-settings-manager
    libcompizconfig0
    libdecoration0
    python-compizconfig

You'll find some of them already enabled, since you have CCSM already. The 4 desktops are under the General section of CCSM (the top one); click on the General Options, the Desktop Size tab; you'll want 4 horizontal, 1 vertical, number of desktops 4.

Sad to say, that's just the beginning.
    http://wiki.compiz.org/CCSM
    has a lot more. And this will only be effective for 3-D effects if you have proprietary drivers installed.

Yes, it's a long process, but the results (in my view) are well worth it. I never set up an installation without Compiz, Sphere, Cylinder, and all!

Edited to add:
    I'll keep helping, if you have specific questions.
    Last edited by egeezer; February 2nd, 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you please confirm that you are using either Ubuntu + Unity 13.10 or Ubuntu Gnome 13.10? It is important because Ubuntu Gnome does not use Compiz as the Compositor/window manager. And that is why you cannot configure Compiz. And why you do not have the ability to enable desktops in the Appearance utility.

The Ubuntu developers modify the Gnome utilities whereas the Ubuntu Gnome developers aim for a pure Gnome experience. Gnome shell 3 (in Ubuntu Gnome) uses Mutter as the compositor/window manage and clutter to provide visual effects. In fact Gnome 3 shell is a Mutter plugin.

You might find Gnome Extensions useful. Check out Workspace Indicator on page 2.

https://extensions.gnome.org/

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 2nd, 2014 at 10:08 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

It is Ubuntu GNOME 13.10. Is this why when I set the horizontal/vertical number of desktops I cannot save the setting? Every time it simply reverts. Also in GNOME I remember there being a hot corner on the right which enabled workspace switching. Since I had to wipe and start fresh with a new installation I no longer see that or anywhere to make it an option. As stated previously "appearance" is a MIA option now.
    Last edited by Deucalion29710; February 2nd, 2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: addditional info

Beans

I think that gnome uses dynamic workspaces ie, when you open an application on a desktop the system will create an empty workspace, you might be able to use gnome-tweak-tool to override the dynamic workspace setting and set the number to whatever you want.

Beans

I now have it set for 4 workspaces and I am able to switch using the switcher in Cairo Dock, but it's still not accepting the settings in compiz. Is there a "save" button that has just escaped me?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion29710 View Post
    I now have it set for 4 workspaces and I am able to switch using the switcher in Cairo Dock, but it's still not accepting the settings in compiz. Is there a "save" button that has just escaped me?
    As grahammechanical said , compiz is not the window manager for the session you are in.
    You cold replace your current window manager with...
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    I don't run Ubuntu Gnome but I suspect by doing this you will lose panels and functionality that relies on the mutter window manager.
    Isn't the whole point of installing Ubuntu Gnome for the gnome-shell interface and functionality with an ubuntu base?
    Why specifically do you want to use compiz?
    Last edited by stinkeye; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:30 AM.

Beans

I just wanted to check it out really, but it's alight. I guess I'll just consider it another failed Linux effort. I still don't know what Appearance settings have <poof> disappeared although it should be there when I go into my system settings. An enigma I assume.
    Last edited by Deucalion29710; February 3rd, 2014 at 05:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion29710 View Post
    I just wanted to check it out really, but it's alight. I guess I'll just consider it another failed Linux effort. I still don't know what Appearance settings have <poof> disappeared although it should be there when I go into my system settings. An enigma I assume.
    You can very easily check out compiz in the standard Ubuntu where compiz is part of the default install.
    Don't like the unity interface... disable the unity plugin and add your own panel or cairo-dock.
    ....or install the gnome-panel for a fallback session that uses compiz and the old style gnome-panel.