Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why have you chosen to use Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros?

Beans

Why have you chosen to use Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros?

Greetings,
    I have been a convert to Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros for a couple of years now due to their truly much more "easy-to-use" and "everything-just-works-right-out-of-the-box" nature. For many years I have tried various different GNU/Linux distros with very little success at all, in my effort to get off the Microsoft monopoly bandwagon. My perception of GNU/Linux is that, yes it is free, (as in 'gratis'), but no, it is not easy to use, beginner friendly and requires much mucking around to get anything to work correctly. Ubuntu was the first Linux distro to come along and change all of that in a BIG way.
    So, my question to you is; why have you chosen to use Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros instead of some other distro?

Thanks
    Last edited by Punchy71; February 2nd, 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why have you chosen to use Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros?

My reasons for Ubuntu are here.
    My reasons for using ONLY LTS releases are here.

Top reasons include:
    * APT / PPAs
    * Stability; Don't want the latest/more broken packages
    * Long Term Support - patches for 5 yrs. Anything less than 3 yrs is worthless to me.

I'm very different than you. Couldn't care what GUI Canonical puts (inflicts?) on the systems, since my preference is something lite, that runs great inside a VM from 6,000 miles away or in the same room.

Beans

I started using Ubuntu back in 2004 purely due to publicity, sabdfl was promoting ubuntu at a computer expo in his home country and free cd's were handed out. I used ubuntu most of the time since then until unity came out which I tried and then switched to xubuntu. At one stage I switched to Sabayon for a long time (also tried gentoo for while) until they came out with their binary package stuff, switched to Arch for a long time witch I loved but had to go of that as i had a limited data plan and moved back to xubuntu, then moved to manjaro when they started up and have been there ever since. Also used crunchbang for a while but debian stable is not for me, packages are to old, testing would probably be better. I don't use ubuntu any more but I will still mention it and mint to user willing to experiment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The essence of my reasons in two lines -

When I was on Windows, I always wished my OS was more predictable and I had more control over it.

Since I switched to Ubuntu permanently (more than two years now) I have that control and much more, and I never felt like switching again.

PS:
    That doesn't mean I have sworn to stick with Ubuntu, just don't have time nor desire at present to try out anything else.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree with many of the reasons TheFu mentions in his blogpost: The *buntu base seems to provide the ideal mix between stability and 'freshness' of the packages. And like Varunendra mentions I simply have no desire to check out many other Linux distros. Simply because I fail to see how they would give me any practical benefits over *buntu.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Pretty much the same story for me. Got tired of Windows, found more and more FOSS that I really admired. Then when I loaded both Win 7 and Ubuntu as dual-boot on the same box on the same day, I realized that Ubuntu installed faster, easier, and with less cortisol release than Windows.

It's been a great relief, frankly. I must use Windows extensively at work, so I'm still very much in that world as well. But now I feel I always have alternatives. It's like hiking above timberline -- there's not just one trail anymore, you can go just about any direction you want. Wide open.

Right now I'm on a laptop running the Zorin fork, and the machine has Elementary on it as well. But Ubuntu LTS is the main squeeze.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it seemed to have a good reputaiton for being easy to use and also offer good hardware compatibility.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
    So, my question to you is; why have you chosen to use Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros instead of some other distro?
    I started using Ubuntu because they'd send out free installation CDs at the time. I've continued to use it because the LTS releases have been great here. But all along, I've also been using other distros besides Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based ones. I wouldn't like being tied to any one distro any more than I liked being tied to Windows when that was all I used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I starteded dual botting for security reasons as networked windows was to easy to compromise.

A couple of friends of mine that have been linux fans since the late 90's actually told me not to use ubuntu because bla bla bla CLA this and upstream that.

When I actually tried a few different distros I found ubuntu to be the most sane and usable

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I was a fairly long time Debian user, and switched to Ubuntu in it's earlier days just to save time setting up my machines. As time went on it seemed that most applications were packaged for Ubuntu, so I just stayed. I still use Debian on a few machines, but run Xubuntu on most of my machines.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast