Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why has Canonical Inc. succeeded where all the others have failed?

Beans

Why has Canonical Inc. succeeded where all the others have failed?

Any ideas why Canonical Inc. has been the first company to make a truly beginner and user-friendly Linux distro? All the other companies and various projects that came before Canonical have all tried and failed at the same thing. What makes Canonical so different and special that was able to succeed where all the others have failed miserably? Why does it continue to dominate the Linux distro world community and thrive?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why has Canonical Inc. succeeded where all the others have failed?

I am not sure that you are correct to claim that all the other companies and various projects that came before Canonical were actually trying to produce a truly beginner and user-friendly Linux distro.

Mark Shuttleworth certainly set out to produce a 'Linux for Humans' distribution but it was far from being that much different from other distros as regards to being user-friendly. It had me scratching my head more than once when I started using it in 2007. Ubuntu has lost users because it has become more user-friendly over the last three years.

You are making claims that you are not substantiating and I can only assume that you are doing so in order to start arguments.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I do believe ubuntu did a lot for promoting desktop linux but I don't believe for a second others have failed. If others have failed then their distros would not be so popular.

As grahammechanical mentions I also believe ubuntu has lost some user especially since the introduction of unity, linux mint on the other hand has gained many more users and if distrowatch is to be believed they have been doing better than ubuntu for some time now. I also don't think people just abandoned ubuntu, many moved over to xubuntu (I did the same back in the day) which is a excellent distro in it's own right.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Don't feed them

Beans

Canonical has succeeded because it's run by a smart, competent, rich guy who's committed to making it successful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    I started with Karmic and the answer for me was simple. WIFI and Bluetooth. Ubuntu had wifi working from a dead start. Everything else that I tried at that time left me with the impossible problem of getting started with an OS that I knew nothing about without internet. The first distro that I got working was Puppy Linux and I dual booted for some time until I could get Ubuntu going. Puppy also had wifi support. I eventually dropped Puppy due to the hair pulling bluetooth problem, Ubuntu had bluetooth. Since Karmic I have used every development version of Ubuntu and have kept Puppy on a USB for problem solving. With those early versions providing the problems and the members of this forum providing the answers I was up to speed pretty fast. Ubuntu is the only thing that comes to mind when someone says "OS". Can't wait for the Tablets. Also, I have been a fan of Unity since its initial release. For me, Unity is what makes Ubuntu better than the OS that I discarded. Until Unity I was on the fence although I have to admit that Maverick was a rocket.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I second the "rich, smart, competent guy" comment.

I think there's an element of luck though. Ubuntu was the right OS, yes, but it was also in the right place at the right time.

Internet users had already figured out that information could be free. They also figured that content -- songs, video -- could be free (even if that disenfranchised some creators). And really sophisticated software was finally becoming free. (It's one thing to have a pretty good free plain-text editor, it's another thing to have the GIMP, Audacity, OpenOffice, etc.)

So as Ubuntu arrived on the scene with a stable, easy-to-install Linux OS, there was very useful software ready to go and some users that had become excited about an ecosystem of open, user-driven systems.

To be fair, I think a number of major distros are as strong as Ubuntu. OpenSUSE springs to mind as a non-Debian Linux that's got a substantial userbase.

One thing that interests me is how many people or groups fork Ubuntu, and how successful these forks are. At a rough guess, the Ubuntu fork of Debian has about as many descendants as the rest of Debian combined, or as many as the Slackware lineage altogether.

Why?

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

The first installer I ever saw that just worked was in MEPIS. Early versions of Ubuntu were hit and miss. Ubuntu originally got attention because they had a multi millionaire backing them. Ubuntu used to get attention every time they changed an icon, it was ridiculous! Fast forward to two years ago, unity development started and Ubuntu started gaining attention for work they are actually doing. Canonical is gaining ground now for the right reasons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
    Any ideas why Canonical Inc. has been the first company to make a truly beginner and user-friendly Linux distro? All the other companies and various projects that came before Canonical have all tried and failed at the same thing. What makes Canonical so different and special that was able to succeed where all the others have failed miserably? Why does it continue to dominate the Linux distro world community and thrive?

Thanks
    $ <---
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I started using Ubuntu just before 5.10 came out - the one that was Breezy Badger I think? I found it by googling for how to get drivers for my USB ADSL modem working on Debian. Ubuntu succeeded because the smart rich guy threw resources at all the things missing from Linux development - making a "Linux For Humans" that just worked for the home dekstop user. Admittedly it was an ongoing progress, but things gradually fell into place, and the community forums was brilliant, having captured the enthusiam of thousands of linux users that wanted the same things Canonical wanted. medibuntu and ArnieBoy got all the greyarea stuff like video/mp3 codecs working, canonical got WiFi working properly, got the proprietary drivers working in a simple fashion, kind of made a mess experimenting with the audio, but then it largely settled down and just worked for a lot of stuff.

But then the focus diverted to concentrating on how to make money from ubuntu. Which is fair enough and I don't begrudge canonical for doing that. But the inevitable side effect is that the original intent of ubuntu is neglected and taken up by a fork in the form of Linux Mint, which has outranked Ubuntu on Distrowatch ever since the troublesome imposition of Unity.

I was a die-hard ubuntu advocate, but nowadays i just use Linux Mint as it doesn't suffer from any of the controversial commercial decisions Canonical have chosen - back in the day, the ubuntu homepage was all happy smiling pictures of people holding hands, and anecdotes about african schools and whatnot, and i'd excitedly wait for the release countdown clock to tick down, but when i look at the ubuntu homepage nowadays it's corporate and chilling, and full of empty marketing speak. Like visiting the Oracle homepage.

The forums still seem friendly and open which is great, but the vision and intent that made Ubuntu a success has been abandoned by canonical, and it shows in the distrowatch rankings.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast