Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error report password?

Beans

Error report password?

A week ago I installed 14.04 64-bit alongside a fresh windows7 install on someone's laptop for them in case windows ever dies or gives them issues again (hence the reinstall). Told them it's there if in case things go wrong and they can play with it, also warned them it's not stable yet but they can keep upgrading it and in April some time it will be stable.

Well this person is now using Ubuntu 95% of the time, everything is going really well except for one small annoyance, on reboot some times he gets a popup saying Ubuntu encountered an problem and needs to send off a error report (it does not give specifics about the error and everything works fine) and then promptly asks for a password which is not the user password, what password needs to be entered to send off the error report?

Does he need to sign up to launchpad, ubuntu one or something like that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Error report password?

As lazy to write as I am, I'll point You to this answer To Your question: http://askubuntu.com/a/150205
    As I hope that first part is not what is happening at Your friend's place, second part gives the right answer: yes, he needs a Lauchpad account...
    I will not suggest another possible „solution“ i.e. turning reporting off...
    Last edited by zika; February 2nd, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    As I hope that first part is not what is happening at Your friend's place, second part gives the right answer: yes, he needs a Lauchpad account...
    I will not suggest another possible „solution“ i.e. turning reporting off...
    As far as I understand it if the user account as admin rights via sudo his password should work. I think launchpad account is only needed if you want to manually file bugs.

I know how to disable apport but I would rather the devs get feedback.

This is what he is getting,

Now he has admin privileges (via sudo) so my understanding is his password should be enough?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    As far as I understand it if the user account as admin rights via sudo his password should work. I think launchpad account is only needed if you want to manually file bugs.

I know how to disable apport but I would rather the devs get feedback.

This is what he is getting,

Now he has admin privileges (via sudo) so my understanding is his password should be enough?
    Did You try?

Beans

Did You try?
    Try what?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try what?
    Entering password?

Beans

Entering password?
    Yes, as per my original post it does not work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You can have look at /var/crash/ if there is something to worry about or if it is an old crash that still gets reported. If there is nothing alarming, you can remove everything that is in /var/crash/, the popup should go away.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Some of us have reported failures by Apport not working as it should. I cannot find the original thread but here is a recent posting.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2202287

System crashes can be common place. I find that I can cancel the crash report and carrying on using the system without any problems. We usually need to authorise Apport to collect logs if the logs may contain user personal data and our user password should be enough for that. To get as far as reporting a bug in Launchpad we do need a Launchpad account. I am not sure if having a Ubuntu One Single Sign On account would do the job.

Did you set this user up with a Ubuntu One account at installation time. Early in the development cycle I had problems with the installer not being able to accept that I already was a registered Ubuntu One user. Perhaps this is where the problems occurs.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, as per my original post it does not work.
    Mea culpa, it seems that I did not get that clearly...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast