Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Error report password?

Beans

Re: Error report password?

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Some of us have reported failures by Apport not working as it should. I cannot find the original thread but here is a recent posting.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2202287

System crashes can be common place. I find that I can cancel the crash report and carrying on using the system without any problems. We usually need to authorise Apport to collect logs if the logs may contain user personal data and our user password should be enough for that. To get as far as reporting a bug in Launchpad we do need a Launchpad account. I am not sure if having a Ubuntu One Single Sign On account would do the job.

Did you set this user up with a Ubuntu One account at installation time. Early in the development cycle I had problems with the installer not being able to accept that I already was a registered Ubuntu One user. Perhaps this is where the problems occurs.

Regards.
    The system works just fine if you ignore the error report thingy so it's not serious, just an annoyance.
    I did not set the user up with an ubuntu one account. Thing is I can't see it helping as there is no request for login details of any sorts except for asking for a password.

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Mea culpa, it seems that I did not get that clearly...
    No problemo

I think I might just tell the guy how to disable apport to get rid of the popup, he's not worried about it but it's one of those little niggles. He's really happy with Ubuntu otherwise.

Beans

There is no need for a launchpad account unless one wants to actually follow thru with reporting a bug (crashers) & that will only come up once apport has opened launchpad in your browser.
    What your freind is showing is a pre login crash, that's why it's root owned & requires auth to proceed

The orig. install accounts password should work fine to auth., maybe some miscommunication?
    (there is no admin group anymore, it's now sudo, look in /etc/group

They could clear all .crashes, ect & see if it stops popping up -
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/crash/*.*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The orig. install accounts password should work fine to auth., maybe some miscommunication?
    (there is no admin group anymore, it's now sudo, look in /etc/group
    When you say original install accounts password do you mean the password of the username setup during install? If 'yes' then it does not work which is what's bugging me. My understanding is that it should work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    When you say original install accounts password do you mean the password of the username setup during install? If 'yes' then it does not work which is what's bugging me. My understanding is that it should work.
    Yes, it *should*..
    I have 2 14.04 installs, one quite old, one from today. Atm I'm not getting any pre-login crashers so can't say for sure that there isn't something broken in the current apport in this regard.
    ( I may have a way to create a root owned crash so will try & see what happens.

Beans

Re: test of root reporting

Gave it a test (the repo version of mpv will crash when trying to use an --ao of sdl, so I replaced mine with it & ran mpv as root...
    Didn't see any issue, screen 1 is the auth dialog, after entering my password it was accepted & produced screen 2

(what session is your friend using, above was from an ubuntu session (unity
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: test of root reporting

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    (what session is your friend using, above was from an ubuntu session (unity
    Bog standard Unity as it comes with Ubuntu, no changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12