Thread: JAVA Applet problem

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

JAVA Applet problem

I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for a few days and like it, but I am having problems gaining access to websites that apparently require an up to date JAVA applet. I tried to enable JAVA in firefox and install the latest JAVA in Linux 12.04 LTS, but it did not work. I heard about the latest version of Linux Mint cinnamon 16 32-bit, so I installed that and it worked fine, "right out of the box" with the websites in question. BUT THEN A PROBLEM DEVELOPED. The keyboard started doing crazy things, substituting numbers when I typed letters making the use of Mint 16 unworkable. The keyboard seems to do this after some Mint 16 boots, but not others.

So I tried an older version of MInt, Mint 13 which is LTS. I booted it live off the DVD drive and it worked with the JAVA applets better than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but less well than with Mint 16. Mint 13 booted off the DVD did not allow me to use the websites in question.

I am not sure how to proceed. It seems to me I have to fix the keyboard bug in Mint 16 or get Java working in Linux 12.04 LTS. (Mint 13 works better than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). So there are probably some clues here as to what I should do.

Does anybody have an suggestions as to how I should proceed?

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: JAVA Applet problem

With the keyboard problem in Linux Mint cinnamon 16 32-bit, did you check if you had Num Lock on? Because it sounds like it.
    Try pressing your Num Lock key and see what happens.
    "I'm fat, but at least i'm not a windows" ~Tux

Hardy Heron was my birthplace.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks for your reply Potato Head. I did some searching and there is a Linux Mint blog that says the developers of Linux Mint know about this keyboard bug and the bug is apparently related to the Num Lock key or feature.

I have a Num Lock key which is a function key (gray under F11), meaning, I think, that it is activated by pressing the gray Fn key and the F11 key at the same time. I'll try pressing these keys and further investigation to see if this helps.

Thanks,

R

Beans

Thread moved to the "Other OS/Distro Support" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I solved the JAVA problem using this procedure at http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html

And the Linux Mint keyboard problem seems to definitely be related to the NumLk key, as the number pattern was reproduced for a particular word by changing NumLK

Thanks,

R.