Thread: Virtual box locking network with outgoing??

Beans

Virtual box locking network with outgoing??

I'm running virutal box on 12.04 with a virtual 12.04 and I have the network type setup as bridge but as soon as the virtual machine starts up virtual box sends 50-200k outgoing to the router and locks down the router for the real and virtual machine.. Screenshot shows the situation, Why is this ???????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Virtual box locking network with outgoing??

What do you mean "locks down the router?"
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    What do you mean "locks down the router?"
    The outgoing trafic is so high than the bandwidth available for incoming is super slow. Takes a full minute for a "apt-get update" normal, 8 sec..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds like a memory shortage. What are your host and guest RAM & hdd sizes?

If you weren't aware, VMs typically run slower than a host OS unless you have a powerful machine.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

Sounds like a memory shortage. What are your host and guest RAM & hdd sizes?

If you weren't aware, VMs typically run slower than a host OS unless you have a powerful machine.
    The screenshot shows I'm running on an i7 with 24GB ram... virtual machine 1 core 3Ghz 2Gb ram this is a network issue- as soon as I start a virtual machine the "sent" network traffic shoots up and slows down the internet for the real and virtual machine the systems run fine..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So it does, I missed it. If your router allows you to configure QoS then have you adjusted it? I assume you don't have the same issues when no VM is running.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

So it does, I missed it. If your router allows you to configure QoS then have you adjusted it? I assume you don't have the same issues when no VM is running.
    Correct, no issues when no vm is running. Unfortunatly I cant set the qos on my router.... Its wack that virtual box would be sending so much information out though and no one else seems to have this particualr issue??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're familiar with Wireshark or tcpdump, I'd recommend you look at the packets the VM is sending. That might narrow it down to a network or software problem.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

Ok, found the problem!! tcpdump shows a constant stream of udp packets going from my real machine to Ip 224.0.etc but only after a virtual machine is started. Friend mentioned that udp is usally multimedia so after googling that IP with pulseaudio I found this bug https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44777 this is older but exact same thing here. Temp solution is to start the VM and Kill pulseaudio which then restarts itself but no crazy stream.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool, glad you found a workaround.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?