Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When does the Ubuntu phone arrive?

Beans

When does the Ubuntu phone arrive?

When is Ubuntu going to announce some solid information about what is happening? I ( a simple user not a developer) would like to jump in but am tired of vague, shape shifting pronouncements. Depending where you read we should have had a phone out somewhere between this time last year to this time next year. I am long overdue for equipment updates and must make a decision whether to go Ubuntu or bail out.

Beans

Re: Need to know what's is happening

You think that hardware availability and rollout schedule is determined by the software company instead of the carriers and equipment OEMs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bail out, buy an Android. I recently bought a Moto G - good phone. Ubuntu Phone won't be worth buying over Android for at least a couple of years, assuming any OEMs release phones.

Beans

Thanks Ian-Weisser Point taken but I am just looking for some guidance. I have plans too.
    Apparently I am asking too much of Canonical.
    Last edited by MC Fox; February 2nd, 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Beans

Thanks 3rdalbum
    Same probably goes for the tablet too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We have solid information:

1) these matters are covered by confidentiality agreements.
    2) it is up to OEMs to decide if they want Ubuntu on their mobile devices and what hardware they bring to market and what services will be part of the product.
    3) As of end of October 2013 Ubuntu Touch is at version 1.0 - optimized for the phone. Now Ubuntu Touch is being optimized for the Tablet form factor. That will be version 1.5.
    4) at a recent count there were 72 developers developing apps for Ubuntu Touch and there were 166 apps in the Click (app) store. Numbers are rising all the time.

If you want to keep up to date on what the Ubuntu development community is doing then bookmark this page.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/blog/

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: When does the Ubuntu phone arrive?

Thanks. Bookmarked.

I now have to decide between a Nook HD or Nexus 7. When they are out of date I will check back and see what may be happening. I signed up for email updates from Canonical, I now see why I haven't received any.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    If you want to keep up to date on what the Ubuntu development community is doing then bookmark this page.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/blog/

Regards.

Well, at least in one forum, they're engaged in the pointless Mac vs PC wars that we're all looking to Ubuntu to get away from, to begin with...

Beans

Looks like we are going from April to "2015".

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/01...show-for-2014/

Unless you are a friend of some Canonical hotshot on Reddit dedicated Ubuntu users are left in the dark.

Beans

I would love to see an Ubuntu based phone. Would hope that success isn't hindered by carrier bloating or restricting excessively.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast