Thread: can't set up wifi printer Canon PIXMA MG5350s

Beans

can't set up wifi printer Canon PIXMA MG5350s

Hi.
    I only installed ubuntu 4 weeks ago. So far I managed to figure out most of the things I needed or found answers on this forum google or youtube but this one is a killer for me. I can't find anything about this particular printer and even though I read quite a few posts about other printers I just dont know what to do. To make it clear I use ubuntu 12.04 lts (64bit). Printer as in title: Canon PIXMA MG5350s
    I downloaded drivers from canon website: http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consu...MA_MG5350.aspx
    I installed deb packages with ubuntu software centre (it appears to be using standard drivers for mg5300 series) - I even added some repository for canon from this forum but my printer is not there anyway.
    from what I've read and saw on youtube it should detect printer when i go to printers/add/network printer but it does not
    The printer is correctly set up on the network because i can use it with my windows pc and phone and it's working fine.
    I tried to put various things in "Enter Device URI" but I'm not sure what I should do for this printer.

If you tell me I need to type something in the terminal please keep in mind I only just started using ubuntu and don't really have much idea about all the commands. Most of the time when I have to use it I just copy-paste what i find so I might not understand if you say things like "you may add this here or change something there". Ready formulas would be best Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by radogost1981; February 1st, 2014 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: can't set up wifi printer Canon PIXMA MG5350s

Since you are try to connect to a networked printer open the terminal and type: system-config-printer

Beans

I tried to find it there. thats what I ment by "from what I've read and saw on youtube it should detect printer when i go to printers/add/network printer but it does not"

The printer doesn't show up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried connecting the printer directly to the Ubuntu computer?

Beans

No. The reason I bought a wireless one is because I haven't got space for it where i keep my computer. It's too awkward to move it now. Printer is definitely working properly in the network because as i said before i can access it from my phone and windows.

Beans

ok. I managed to add the printer this morning and it is printing but not as it should! When I tried to print some coloured oversized text from LibreOffice Writer it would start printing but stopped a few seconds after it started and didn't carry on. I tried something else - printed google homepage and it did print but missed big google sign, printed chrome logo though but at least finished printing process. Any idea what is wrong here?