Thread: Network bridge with KVM

Beans

Network bridge with KVM

Hi!

I'm trying to set up a virtual machine with KVM and I have some difficulty configuring the network bridge. I've found several guides on the net and tried to follow the instructions, but I must be missing some important detail, because my machine stubbornly refuses to follow the settings.

In all the guides one is advised to set up a network bridge on the host for the guestOS to use. In order to do that one is advised to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Here's my unedited /etc/network/interfaces file:
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
    After following the guides the file looks like this:
    Code:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    #auto eth0
    #iface eth0 inet manual

# Network bridge
    auto br0
    iface br0 inet dhcp
            bridge_ports eth0
            bridge_stp off
            bridge_fd 0
            bridge_maxwait 0
    When I reboot the Network Manager icon appears crossed over, showing that I have no connection and update services also complain about the lack of connection. Yet the connection is working fine -- I can ping and use firefox without any difficulty.
    So why is Network Manager lying to me? Is this some bug or am I missing some crucial detail?

I have Kubuntu 13.10 64bit, and my machine is on a home LAN, connected to the net by a regular router. The router recieves an IP from my Internet Provider, but this IP is static. The router has a working DHCP that assigned IPs to devices on the home network. It is configured in such a way that the machine I'm working on always receives the same IP: 192.168.1.4. The router's address on the home network is 192.168.1.1.

Some advice would be appreciated at this stage. Perhaps there are some CLI tools for creating a bridge instead of doing at manually? Or is the fault with the implementation of Network Manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Network bridge with KVM

It is only recently that I finally got bridged networking going on my server that hosts my VM guests. Some guests I haven't converted yet. My interfaces file looks at little different than yours:
    Code:
    doug@s15:/etc/network$ cat interfaces

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface and bridge
    auto br0
    iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_fd 9
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12
    bridge_stp off
    Also, my host is a server computer with no GUI, so I don't have "Network Manager". I used the Ubuntu Serverguide as my "how to" reference. However, a recent change to this exact area of the document has not been published yet, where it says "sudo service networking restart" do "sudo ifup br0" instead, or just restart the computer.

There was another thread just earlier today, where it was suggested Network Manager might not know about bridging.
    Last edited by Doug S; January 31st, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.