Thread: 13.04 & 13.10 shutdown not working (again) + hibernate on closing lid missing

Beans

Question 13.04 & 13.10 shutdown not working (again) + hibernate on closing lid missing

I observed the problems with both Ubuntu 13.04 and now with 13.10 64-bit running on an Acer V5-122P laptop (quad-core AMD A6-1450):

1. Shutdown doesn't work anymore. At some point the animation halts and the system stops to react to key presses (freeze). Rebooting instead of shutting down works, however. I remember these problems from the past (on a 486), but I thought they were long fixed. I'm not so glad to see that they're back again.
    The system has a relatively fast SSD as the only drive. It could be that IO is too fast at some point (race condition), but I doubt that is the reason.

2. An annoying glitch - the missing hibernation. I managed to turn it on and it works nicely as expected. However, the option to hibernate when closing the lid remains missing and that sucks! Like many other notebooks the acer has a key combination to put it to sleep. This works and I use it when I need suspend to RAM. When I close the lid, however, I would like it to hibernate as I put it away for days or even weeks afterwards. I miss that option. Of course, selecting hibernate works - but it's a bore. A minor glitch if you want, but an inexplicable one. What's so dramatic about providing an option for hibernation (on closing the lid) on a "use at your own risk" basis?

Cheers,
    LC

Beans

Re: 13.04 & 13.10 shutdown not working (again) + hibernate on closing lid missing

Quote Originally Posted by _-LC-_ View Post
    1. Shutdown doesn't work anymore. At some point the animation halts and the system stops to react to key presses (freeze). Rebooting instead of shutting down works, however. I remember these problems from the past (on a 486), but I thought they were long fixed.
    They were fixed. They are still fixed for most users.
    Please file a bug report against the Linux package. Be sure to include lots of detail about your BIOS. Sometimes BIOS developers get clever and introduce new fun quirks. Or perhaps you have uncovered a kernel bug. It would really help if you could narrow down which problem is the one you are suffering from....

Quote Originally Posted by _-LC-_ View Post
    2. An annoying glitch - the missing hibernation. I managed to turn it on and it works nicely as expected.[...]What's so dramatic about providing an option for hibernation (on closing the lid) on a "use at your own risk" basis?
    It's not a glitch, it's a thoroughly-debated and considered decision by the Ubuntu Desktop Team.
    Hibernation does *not* work reliably for many users, including on some hardware that is "Ubuntu Certified"
    This leaves the Ubuntu developers with four choices:
    1) Invest the resources to fix it (rejected for several reasons, including no assurance that it will stay fixed. See above.)
    2) Include it knowingly broken (vehemently rejected. Contrary to what Ubuntu's trying to do for new/unskilled users)
    3) Remove hibernation entirely (rejected - difficult, and likely to cause many complaints about removing a feature that does work for many users)
    4) Include it hidden so gurus like you can discover and try it.

"Use at your own risk" by default is contrary to the goals of the Ubuntu project, which is to provide safe, secure, and supported software. The compromise was to provide the "use at your own risk" feature, but merely not by default.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; January 30th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.

Beans

Arrow Re: 13.04 & 13.10 shutdown not working (again) + hibernate on closing lid missing

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    They were fixed. They are still fixed for most users.
    Please file a bug report against the Linux package. Be sure to include lots of detail about your BIOS. Sometimes BIOS developers get clever and introduce new fun quirks. Or perhaps you have uncovered a kernel bug. It would really help if you could narrow down which problem is the one you are suffering from....
    I gave you the exact model number and OS (currently 13.10 64-bit, but 13.04 64-bit had the same problem). I wouldn't call it a "BIOS" anymore; you know, it's that nasty thing with secure boot where you can't really make that many changes (all default). Debugging a shutdown problem is nasty, as it "freezes" at some point. It's not a big deal as the Acer has a power button. Hold it down for five seconds and you get the fail safe OFF switch. I was just wondering why this problem is back again. I want to add that there are various non-Linux operating systems (down to BeOS and it's follow ups). I tried many, even during 486 times. None had those problems, while many Linux distributions had. Weird! As stated, reboot works fine. It used to do so during 486 times as well. Maybe I hit the jackpot, but to me this is a déjà-vu...
    I can only be of limited help, I'm afraid. I can't attach my Notebook to the Internet at home. That is I could, but I don't want to - for the very same reason I take it along everywhere I go (my neighbors got murdered - shot, suicide, suicide, overdose - and it appears that I'm paying their murderers with my taxes; phone-line/router is bugged, etc. etc.)...

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    It's not a glitch, it's a thoroughly-debated and considered decision by the Ubuntu Desktop Team.
    Hibernation does *not* work reliably for many users, including on some hardware that is "Ubuntu Certified"
    This leaves the Ubuntu developers with four choices:
    1) Invest the resources to fix it (rejected for several reasons, including no assurance that it will stay fixed. See above.)
    2) Include it knowingly broken (vehemently rejected. Contrary to what Ubuntu's trying to do for new/unskilled users)
    3) Remove hibernation entirely (rejected - difficult, and likely to cause many complaints about removing a feature that does work for many users)
    4) Include it hidden so gurus like you can discover and try it.

"Use at your own risk" by default is contrary to the goals of the Ubuntu project, which is to provide safe, secure, and supported software. The compromise was to provide the "use at your own risk" feature, but merely not by default.
    I had guessed as much and I don't complain. You might want to make it easier to turn it on, though. By my experience it works on most systems - quite reliably. I can use hibernation in the system settings after the tweak, but not for closing the lid. That's what I meant (hibernate on this event, hibernate on that event - but NOT WHEN CLOSING THE LID, that option is missing even after the tweak while the others are there).

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 13.04 & 13.10 shutdown not working (again) + hibernate on closing lid missing

Fresh install of ubuntu gnome 13.10 on my old thinkpad t61. Everything updated. PC is also not restarting/shutting down.

I do have custom BIOS installed tho is that the problem?