Thread: launch app from terminal

Beans

launch app from terminal

hi there, how do i launch an application from the terminal? an app i just installed does not show up with a GUI even if i thought it would have (it is cpufreq indicator). is that normal? thanks

Beans

Re: launch app from terminal

To launch from the terminal, you enter the program name, such as firefox. You can use tab completion here. (fire + Tab-Key). If you installed manually (not installed by the package manager or software center), you may have to enter the fill path to the executable.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In case of a CPU frequency monitor, where is it supposed to run? Mine runs inside the xfce panel and had to be started to by editing the properties of the panel. Things like CPU monitors, temperature monitors etc. often run in panels and things like that, instead of a window of their own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stefabarta View Post
    hi there, how do i launch an application from the terminal? an app i just installed does not show up with a GUI even if i thought it would have (it is cpufreq indicator). is that normal? thanks
    If you're running unity click the dash button top left and type startup. Add the indicator to your startup list of apps. Log out then back in.

indicator-cpufreq is the command.