Thread: Game controller recommendation

Beans

Game controller recommendation

I'm just looking for a no muss, no fuss game controller recommendation that will be recognized appropriately by Ubuntu for games that support it (and any related tips) please!

I have seen references to using PS3 controllers, PS2 controllers, Xbox 360, original Xbox - but never followed closely enough to know what the "go to" choice is, because I've never tried to use one...

I have original Xbox controllers I could use - I assume a USB adapter is available for them - but is that the way to go? I'm not looking for "serious" hardware, just something that works...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Beans

Re: Game controller recommendation

Honestly in-terms of compatibility, specifically with games that are released on Steam, you might be better off using an Xbox 360 controller since that's the controller that most developers are likely to test out with their games (and some games don't let you rebind controller buttons etc). Otherwise it's mostly up to your personal preference in-terms of which you find comfortable. I can't comment on how well a PlayStation 3 controller will work with most games on Ubuntu but I certainly know that the PlayStation 4 controller seems to work mostly fine with some games on Ubuntu.

Someone else could probably give better suggestions, heh.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have some cheapo PS2-lookalike Taiwanese gamepads which work just fine - you may want a little higher hardware quality but if you buy a knockoff those tend to be just standard controller which doesn't require special drivers.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Xbox 360 controller is pretty much the only controller I'll use, because I was an Original Xbox fan back in the day. You could also hardwire any controller from a console to use a USB2.0 port, but good luck finding driver support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Check out the logitech F310 or F710 (wireless). They support dinput for older games and xinput for newer games by simply flicking a switch on the controller. The xinput mode emulates an Xbox360 pad which the majority of newer games support as mentioned above. You will get out of the box support in Ubuntu in either mode. It has the same buttons as the 360 controller as well so games that have actual button icons ingame will work perfectly with it. I have a dualshock 3 and 4 which I also use in bluetooth mode in Ubuntu but they require extra software such as qtsixa, xboxdrv and ds4drv to get the emulated xinput mode support. Dinput is supported with both controllers over USB OOTB. I use the dualshock 4 the most because it is just amazingly comfortable but at the end of the day my recommendation stands with logitech pad for no fuss, no setup required gaming.
    SYSTEM-Sony Vaio VPCF13YFX CPU-Intel 740Q M quad core GPU-Nvidia GeForce GT425M 1gb dedicated RAM-8gb crucial
    OS- Ubuntu 14.04, KxStudio 12.04

Beans

Thanks very much to everyone! I'll check out all the suggestions here - I really appreciate the responses.