Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way of getting back windows?

Beans

Unhappy Any way of getting back windows?

So i was having trouble with windows and decided to give ubuntu a shot. When i loaded up the disc, it asked how i would like to install, so i chose to format everything on the C: drive and replace windows with ubuntu, this completely removed anything to do with windows from my PC.

I now need windows for college so i tried re-installing it, only when i put my installation disc in and boot into it, it loads the windows 8 symbol for about 2 minutes and then shows a blue screen with:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert windows installation disc and restart your computer <<tried this>>
    2. Choose your language settings, the click "Next" <<Don't get this far>>
    3. Click "Repair your computer"

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

Thats the entirety of it, has anyone and understanding of what might fix this? I have a feeling its to do with the windows registry

Any help/response appreciated regardless

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Any way of getting back windows?

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Is this a legal copy of Windows? If not it's possibly the issue.

Depending on what subject you're doing, being told by educational institutions that you 'need' Windows is often rubbish. Is there specific software you need to use that will only run in Windows? I've just finished seven years of uni and did 90% of it in Ubuntu. I have an old XP install for when I need to use Win for a couple of apps that there is just no alternative for in Ubuntu.

Why don't you dual-boot? Shrink the Ubuntu partition, install Win in the free space you create, boot into Ubuntu, open a terminal and:

sudo update-grub

That should pick up Windows and you're set to go. You'll probably find you don't 'need' to use it much, if at all, once you get there, depending on what you are studying.

Good luck with it.

Beans

Yeah its the one i got with it so its definitely legal alright.

I actually prefer Ubuntu do most of my work lately, but we're using Web Matrix which is a Windows application only we're told

Yeah sure ill give that a go and see how i get on, thanks for the reply

boot ubuntu CD and run gparted on the partition, then try the re-install of Windows?

Beans

Just as Habitual says, just fire up Gparted and format the drive to NTFS before booting up from Windows, I'm pretty sure that should solve all your issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could with a little work do as they say, but leave a bit of partition over for Ubuntu and the swap so you can have both. Ubuntu for most things, Windows for the crap you will never use in your life but will in university. Though to note, WebMatrix is open-source, odd to not find the code remade for a Linux.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

WebMatrix is NOT open-source as such. It is a Microsoft product that works on WINDOWS, and is designed specifically for Windows, that works with open-source apps like Joomla and Wordpress.

Beans

Yeah its the one i got with it so its definitely legal alright.
    BY this , do you mean that the PC came with Windows pre-installed and this CD came with it?

In nearly all cases, CDs that are included with PC that come with Windows preinstalled are only able to boot the CD into a recovery mode -- from which a factory reset can be done using the Windows image file stored in a Recovery partition on the drive. IF you erased that partition, and this is a recovery CD, then you have no Windows install media to use to restore it.

Also, Windows can't read Linux filesystems, so it's likely the Windows installer will not be able to reformat the drive in any way.

You need to use GParted to shrink the Linux filesystem to make room for Windows.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

If you have a friend or another machine with Windows 8.1, you can try this to create new installation media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media

Beans

could run windows in a virtual box https://www.virtualbox.org/
    GOLDSHIRT9 was here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast