Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Ubuntu right for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is Ubuntu right for me?

marius5; Hi ! My five pounds worth.

I do have a programming background (somewhat limited) and I will attest that ubuntu is a programmer's dream system. Unreal how much direct support exist and the ease of workability - once you know how.

But as all have said, there is a steep learning curve, The referenced "reading material":
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2125370
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2200144
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2201432
    These guys say it so well.

On your wish list is nothing that 'buntu can not do, and in some respects better than any other. However, It do take the hosses to operate the high end ubuntu, the flagship edition, with all the bells, whistles and eye candy. It do take the the hardware in this instance. There are many many alternatives one may choose once you have established a knowledge base.
    I am somewhat knowledgeable and I choose to install a base system and build the operating system I want. Absolutely beautiful - for what I want in MY operating system and what I use it for. Your mileage will vary. To start with, out of the box will serve nicely. In 'buntu the base system is all the same, just the desk top and applications differ. As advised, download several, and see what tickles your fancy the most.

And perhaps best of all, is the community at large and the great support structues. Anything and everything you want to know, all for the asking !

This is open source at it's best ->

there are no secrets
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Are you right for Ubuntu? That is the more important question.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

BlinkinCat is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Are you right for Ubuntu? That is the more important question.
    +1

- http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Beans

From what you describe what you want from your OS and what tasks you want to do, I think Ubuntu (or any of it's official flavors) would be good. Just check for hardware compatibility and proceed from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The link to "Linux is not Windows" intro:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Answering your questions in the order posed:

1. You will encounter annoyances with music and videos mainly revolving around codecs—restricted codecs must be installed as a separate conscious choice. This is not a problem for one with IT experience and usually just involves Googling. Obscure Windows-only codecs are a problem, but few use them.

2. Have never heard that programming is ever an issue in Linux (it is a geek's OS after all), but I'm not a programmer, so only going on hearsay.

3. Web browsing is no different to Windows and can be far safer.

4. If you must use Windows apps then this is a problem.

5. Skype works fine for some, but is awful for others. Do not expect MS to continue making any efforts to keep Skype compatible with any OS but their own. Other social networking works well with a large selection of apps to choose from.

6. Depends on the phone. Some will only allow jailbreaking/rooting with Windows tools.

Comments about your prior issues (again in order posed):

1. 13.10 is not for new users nor for those looking for stability. 12.04 serves that function. You should not be using a bleeding-edge version if you want stability.

2. ...don't turn off touchpad. Linux driver support does not match Windows driver support because vendors often don't even write Linux drivers, so it is written by Linux community (see QIII's post).

3. WIFI support is largely good but can be spotty depending on HW. Most WIFI is supported extremely well, but when it isn't, you must improvise.

4. Linux is highly customizable. The hundreds of distros in existence attest to this fact. Shouldn't conflate Ubuntu with Linux. Ubuntu is one distro that has chosen to position itself for general users who would only be confused and flustered if confronted with dozens of choices. If you want customization, then choose basic Arch or Gentoo and go nuts customizing to your heart's content. Just don't then complain about the accompanying complexity and obscurity; customization and complexity are two sides of one coin. Regarding Linux security, speed & stability over Windows, these are evident to anyone who has properly experienced and contrasted both OSes, but cannot be conveyed without experiencing over time for yourself.

5. It is true that Ubuntu/Linux requires a certain willingness to dig into the guts of the OS. Trimming must be turned on by editing a config file (fstab), but this is not especially difficult. However, if completely unwilling to work with command line and config files, then I agree that Ubuntu or any Linux distro for that matter is not for you.

What follows is a general observation—a meta-comment, if you will.

When I look back at my Windows experience, nothing came easy. Contrary to the accepted bromide, Windows was neither easy nor friendly. It was just that years under its solitary confinement had conditioned me into thinking that its limitations and failings were normal. When I now look back at how I meekly swallowed its bloat, registry cruft, slowdowns over time, memory leakage, malware, holes, defragging requirements, usage restrictions, activation requirements, not to mention its incessant BSoDs, I am struck by how easy it is to get people to normalize insanity.

If you want to learn Linux, especially at the level that you apparently do, the process will not be easy. People who tell you that it's easy are misleading you—perhaps with good intentions—but nevertheless doing you a disservice. You will have to learn new paradigms, metaphors and the dreaded command line. The difference is that, at the end of the learning curve, you will be using an OS that does not constrain you, does not insult your intelligence, does not try to lock you into captivity, and does not expect you to normalize insanity.

Your time, your effort, your choice.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

My only point of disagreement with QIII's excellent post is a tiny one...
    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    ...One can hardly blame OEMs for making a wise business decision...
    ...perhaps a "short-sighted pragmatism", but not such a "wise" business decision. No business wants to rely on a single customer any more than it wishes to be confined to a single supplier. It gives the opposite party the power of life and death over you. It is in every business's own long-term interest to foster competition and alternatives in both suppliers and customers, even if such alternatives have small market shares. That's how all alternatives start out—small. It's only by supporting and nurturing sparks that you eventually get healthy flames.

In the general scheme of things, it doesn't cost OEMs much more to produce a Linux driver once they've committed themselves to writing one for Windows. Most certainly manage to do so for Macs. The real issue here is that monopolies suffocate choice and innovation by bullying or bribing their suppliers into erecting artificial barriers to entry against any perceived threat to their hegemony. This tactic is not constrained to MS. It happens in any monopoly/cartel throughout history, from pre-breakup ATT to Rockefeller's Standard Oil to the Renaissance guilds.

It's not easy breaking the vicious cycle, but we can all do our small part by giving our business to suppliers who have the balls to resist the threats/blandishments of the monopolies/cartels.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans

I think you could be well served by some Linux distro or another, if you're willing to put in a little effort and accept that not every aspect is going to be the same.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that Ubuntu is the greatest distro and all others are a distant second. Ubuntu is fine, but other distros have merits too. I'm not sure it's the right distro for you. Try a few; there's no rush.

Beans

Huge thanks goes to all of you guys. This is very valuable and interesting information that you are sharing.
    I have digged around a bit. I don't know if this is the right place to discuss other distors, but anyways... Debian, as I understood, is the best thing when it comes to stability. Also, others say that Elementary OS is worth a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Debian stable may be stable but it has very old packages...ubuntu does an awful lot of refinement to debian and i think makes it a lot better...i have used debian based distros and always seem to come back to to ubuntu...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12