I would like you, dear reader, to help me make a decision which can cost a lot of time and a lot of nerves.
I am trying to figure out, weather I should give ubuntu a shot or not. This problem of mine, of course, sound ridiculous - whats the problem, eh, just test it and see how it goes, write? Well, the problem is what I am doing with my computer... Here are the most common tasks that I do with my computer:
1. Listen to spotify(music) / watch videos(mostly through browser) (I really enjoy equalizers, and as I know, ubuntu doesn't have a good one)
2. Programming in Java, C++(Eclipse IDE for linux, maybe?), Android(Java)(Using android studio IDE)
3. Browse the web in general (studying, looking for information)
4. Make presentations, write documents
5. Communicating / social networking (Skype, Facebook)
6. Messing around with my phone (installing custom kernels, radios, roms)
I have tried windows 8 and windows 8.1 - its a horror movie (or at least was) for C++ developers who want to use boost libraries (it seems that you need to run as admin pretty much anything there in order to make it work). Currently I am running Windows 7 and it is fine. But what I really do like about Ubuntu (and OSX) is the global menu... Don't know why, but it is much more comfortable.
I have tried ubuntu 13.10 maybe two months ago. Used it for a week and at the end - I hated it for a couple of reasons:
1. It was very buggy and unstable. Used to constantly crash.
2. Sometimes my touchpad didn't work (this mostly occured when I used to turn off or on my touchpad with special button for it)
3. I was unable to connect to wireless networks in some places and was able to with Windows 7. (my laptop has intel wifi 1000bgn card, its a Msi fx600 laptop)
4. I was shocked that it was not that customizabile. (Don't know what canonical is thinking, but Linux should be all about customizability, security, speed, stability)
5. I have Samsung 840 evo series SSD which has neat features for windows (like rapid technology, etc) and yet Ubuntu does not even have a feature in control panel to enable or disable trimming...
So, I am asking for your tips, your experience on should I try Ubuntu? Will it run smooth in my daily usage and is it possible to get rid of these "bugs" that I have named? Maybe I should test other Ubuntu version (like 14.04, or maybe I should wait for it to be fully released and then try to switch?). Or maybe there is a better distro for me with global menu? Please, do not hesitate do give me as much tips and "experience talk" as possible.
Thank you very much!