Thread: tarball installation

Beans

Unhappy tarball installation

hi there......................

i am using linux (ubuntu) last few months but i did not success to install any tarball .
    i have seen many installtion guides but when i applied theme it does not work for me..

SO I WANT NOW A NAME OF (TARBALL FILE OR SOFTWARE WITH INSTRUCTION STEP BY STEP) THAT YOU INSTALLED
    IN YOUR COMPUTER.....................IT WILL HELP ME TO DEVELOP MY CONFIDENCE LEVEL FOR INSTALLTION TARBALL..

I AM NOW WATING FOR YOUR KIND REPLAY ...............HELP ME PLZ.

Beans

Re: tarball installtion..................

A tarball is just an archive kind of like a .zip file in Windows. It can contain anything. It may be source code that you need to compile, an install script that you only need to run, or an already compiled binary which you only need to to click to start without doing anything (e.g if you download a tarball for Firefox from Mozilla then all you need to do is to extract it, click on "firefox" without doing anything) The tarball usuallly would come with a readme file that tells you what to do with it.

Usually you don't need to install from source for modern Linux distros, you should try to install from the repositories (using a nice gui frontend like synaptic package manager, which you can install from the Software Centre and then forget about the Software Centre) In Ubuntu there is also an option of adding third party repositories known as PPA (personal package archives?) if you need something not in the official repos or you want an up to date version. The chance that you need to compile from source in Ubuntu is very slim,--though some people like to do it as it gives them more control.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 28th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: tarball installtion..................

As above.

Also, please do not use all capitals. It is considered shouting.