Thread: I need help to rollback to an early version from Trusty Tahr

Beans

I need help to rollback to an early version from Trusty Tahr

Is there a way I can rollback from Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch) Release: 14.04 Codename: trusty" ????
    I have done all I know now to make eclipse work on it, and I have gave-up, as developper I am depending on eclipse.
    But I don't want to wipe out my current installation else I would have reinstalled ubuntu from scratch.

Beans

Re: I need help to rollback to an early version from Trusty Tahr

No, it's not possible to roll back from Trusty to Saucy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hoboy View Post
    Is there a way I can rollback from Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch) Release: 14.04 Codename: trusty" .
    If you or someone has a prior image old enough to suit, then you could re-install from that & not update
    ( though that seems silly, not a very useful install.
    You could go back to saucy thru a fresh install though saucy is EOL in 7 months or so.

Better instead to resolve your issue(s) with eclipse in 14.04 or file a bug on if unable to fix yourself.

Beans

Nah, Trusty is a dumbed down version of Ubuntu. You can learn how to click on fat icons; just like in windows 8.
    Better to use Ubuntu 12.04 and use the gnome-session-fallback desktop. You can learn a lot more with that older version.
    New versions are made for grannies and people who just want youtube and facebook. full stop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fenario View Post
    Nah, Trusty is a dumbed down version of Ubuntu. You can learn how to click on fat icons; just like in windows 8.
    Better to use Ubuntu 12.04 and use the gnome-session-fallback desktop. You can learn a lot more with that older version.
    New versions are made for grannies and people who just want youtube and facebook. full stop
    Thanks for that, I guess that means I'm a granny, and only want to watch youtube videos. No facebook here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fenario View Post
    LMAO... Who need friends when your here. I hope they do add "Like" and "Dis-Like" buttons to threads so I can give post like this a thumbs down!

To the OP you maybe backup your /home and install the OS you want and restore your OS.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

/inserts placeholder ... I might come back to this once I finish up down at the senior center.

@OP I don't think it's a good idea to try and support a critical piece of software (Eclipse) on an O/S that is still under development. Until 14.04LTS is released (later next month) I suggest you stick with 12.04LTS or 13.10 Saucy, both of which I have found to be remarkably stable.

Now, where's my walker.

Beans
    Distro

Ever since I started running the development branch I have always had a version of Ubuntu as a fallback OS. Up until now it has been 12.04. Soon I will be installing 14.04 as the fallback. If stuff I need does not setup in the development branch but it works in the stable/established Ubuntu that I am using as fallback then I am not so frustrated.

It is not a solution to this request but Ventrical has done extensive testing of the Btree file system (btrfs) as a means of rolling back an upgrade. With the btrfs file system it is possibly to upgrade 12.04 to 14.04 and then rollback to 12.04. We seem to be a long way away from btrfs becoming the default UBuntu file system but if it ever happens an we get a decent GUI btrfs snapshot management utility then requests like this will be answered.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 24th, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

closing this old request
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here