Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing new budget motherboard (Z87, H87 or B85). Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Choosing new budget motherboard (Z87, H87 or B85). Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    My Apologies if that sounded like a flame on MSI it wasn't.
    That was merely my experience with them.
    I think Ventrical is using one now.
    Been watching him give it the go round.
    Yes .. the MSI B75MA-P45 with a dual core G630 (upgradable to i7) with 16GB (upgradeable to 32GB) DDR3 and 120GB SSD is a screaming eagle. Don't forget you guys , the Intel HD Graphics comes with the processor for the LGA1155 socket!!

@paul_in_london

Make sure when you purchase your Intel i5 that it has HD Intel graphics that comes with it. You will not need a gpu although you can put in a nVidia or AMD card later in the PCIe slot.

The Intel Graphics on the 3rd Gen processors are just awesome and with SSD it makes testing a breeze with quick results in that form factor.

Actually , with these newer boards, you don't need to overclock unless you are really on the cutting edge testing bent. lol

I was reluctant at first to try the MSI MoBo but it has yet to flicker. It has been a gradual build. Of course I will put an i7 in it and try to fry it. .. That's part of what we do here eh lol

Regards
    Last edited by ventrical; February 4th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Re: Choosing new budget motherboard (Z87, H87 or B85). Any suggestions?

I'm looking at a contingency for a new rebuild of my Hot Rod gPC™ (2.9 GHz Advanced Micro Devices® Athlon 64® X2 5600+, 780G northbridge, SB700 southbridge, ATi® Radeon® HD™ 3200 GPU) around Intel® hardware, given the problems I have had in the past with LinUX Kernel 2.6.12-18-rt (originally tested in Ubuntu® 8.04-LTS) on AMD® hardware. The Asus® H87M-PLUS and H87M-PRO both fit my old Everex® TC2502 case as modified, and I reckon that a 2.4 to 3.2 GHz Intel® 4th-Generation Core™ will run LinUX Kernel 3.13.0-lowlatency reliably (as did 2.6.11-14-rt on the TC2502's original VIA® C7-D under Ubuntu® 8.04-LTS); plus they will take one of the larger Unicomp® Model M's built for IBM® 85xx-compatible systems - I have an On The Stick 122 contingency design incorporating a fallback pointing device, in the unlikely event that the USB drivers crash. (Not much luck with late-model micro-ATX's that will still support the disquette transport in my Mitsumi® FA404 combo drive, however, more's the pity.)

Anybody run into panics and oopses of Kernel 3.13.0-generic and/or -lowlatency on Intel® H87-equipped rigs running Ubuntu® 13.12a1 or 14.01a2? I'd like a heads up on any complication that might give cause to delay my dist-upgrade(s) to 14.04-LTS.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123