Thread: bluetooth question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Red face bluetooth question

Hi Community:

I've got a nice pair of bluetooth headphones that work nicely with an Ubuntu machine that is in my kitchen.

I do not receive signal on those headphones when I walk into the living room. However, there is an Ubuntu machine in the living room, also (shouldn't everyone have one there?).

Here is my question: I want to use my head phones with bluetooth with the living room Ubuntu machine when I'm in the living room.

How can I do that?

Won't bluetooth get confused?

Thanks!
    Old Jimma from the Old Country

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: bluetooth question

Quote Originally Posted by Old Jimma View Post
    Won't bluetooth get confused?
    Yes, it definitely will. Even if it pairs with both machines, it will not know which it should prefer while both are in range, and I'm not sure headphones are even designed to pair to multiple sources. Even if it multi-pairs, the problem will be that should your kitchen machine connect even intermittently, this will throw off your headphones. You could try turning off one machine before turning on the other, and make sure that they are never on together, but this is so awkward as to be pointless.

A workaround is to purchase a pair of 900MHz USB headphones with good sensitive reception connected to just one machine strategically placed where you get whole-household coverage. 900 MHz technology has better range than bluetooth, although mine drop and stutter every badly once I am beyond 20 meters and separated by walls. I suspect that you can get up to 30 meters in an open space, but have never tested this. It is also important to Google for a good pair with a sensitive receiver. Transmission power is topped out by law so that you do not broadcast into your neighbours' area of reception. Therefore, good reception is the key.