Thread: Live CD Won't Boot

Beans

Live CD Won't Boot

hello!

I burned the 13.10 .iso onto a CD and started my laptop with it in. after booting, my screen goes directly to the purple loading page with logo, and if I press any of the F keys, it gives me the code "calling:test-builtin
    error reading lib/udev/hwdb.bin: No such file or directory
    load module index
    unload module index
    unable to open '/dev/sda'"

it eventually brings me to a builtin shell, busybox.

any ideas for a fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Live CD Won't Boot

Looks like a bad burn. If using CD, please torrent ISO rather than download, as torrent is a self-auditing/correcting technology. Torrent from Ubuntu site and no other. If you cannot torrent for some reason, then make sure you MD5 the ISO, and checksum the burned image. Instructions here. Once confident of burn, run session as a LiveDVD/USB to make sure everything is working before installing. This includes running gparted (be careful!) to see if all HDDs are recognized. A good installation howto is here.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Live CD Won't Boot

I can't see myself how you could have gotten that far if indeed you downloaded the normal Ubuntu 13.10 image and "burned" the ISO to a CD. I don't believe the normal ubuntu (not lubuntu, xubuntu, the alternate cd, etc) image would fit on a CD - it has to be a DVD. So, did you really use a CD? At what point do you get the purple screen - have you gotten to the selection screen for "try ubuntu" or "install ubuntu"? If so, which did you choose?