Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Observation of Instability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Observation of Instability

Update: I ran the software updater this evening, so i got a bunch of the updates i would have seen saturday morning, and they included a new version of the kernel as well as a bunch of other things...
    And after the installation, noticed that it seemed to take care of my instability problems!

To test, i watched TEN you tube music videos...played TEN mp3s on VLC and listened to stream radio for 20 minutes straight and did not hear one double at all!
    It was all as smooth and stable as it was on windows on this toshiba laptop with i3 and intel graphics....no glitches on the music on the videos or mp3s....

I was totally shocked...have no idea of what could have induced the change in those updates, but keeping fingers crossed and hope it's a permanent change!
    I was getting so frustrated with this i almost re-installed windows 7 and was going to remove ubuntu...if it stays like this i will be tickled pink (lol) knowing i can stay on linux and my favorite distro,
    UBUNTU

I guess it will remain a mystery what triggered this off...i'd love to know but...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 8th, 2014 at 06:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I was getting so frustrated with this i almost re-installed windows 7 and was going to remove ubuntu...

Glad you got it fixed. I don't recall ever seeing problems like that here with any distro I've ever run.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks malspa...i'm running 14.04 development and as you know development gets a LOT of updates every day...i was always hoping something would come along in the updates that would make a difference on this laptop and whatever it was seems to have done the trick...i will keep my fingers crossed of course that it's something permanent...

I've had that problem on this laptop and my toshiba laptop prior to it (which also had similar specs including the i3 core and intel graphics) and with all the ubuntus (ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu) and ubuntu based distros (like mint, zorin, etc) it was exactly the same thing...

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Good deal! Glad things are working right for you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    I use 14.04 on a Toshiba single core and I have no problems with Radio Tray or direct stream such as Nascar on Del Marva. I am betting that your problem was related to a processor balancing act. If the stream was switched from one core to another there could be a glitch in picking up the stream from cache. I do believe that Linux dynamically allocates programs on multicore systems whereas on Windows systems the programs are statically assigned by the user. A kernel update addressing this problem could go un-noticed. This is just a shot in the dark but very possible. As you probably already know, we have been getting heavy updates from Trusty including a new kernel everyday lately. It isn't impossible that the problem could reappear.

Beans
    Distro

@rrnbtter: You know, that sounds like a very logical possibility...glad you have the technical prowess to explain that to me in "layman's terms"
    Well, if it is kernel related, i sure hope a future kernel update on here won't undo it...and yes, i noticed there have been a lot of kernel updates lately (3 in the last 3 days!)...

I never had the problem when i ran Toshibas with AMDs (though they did run a lot hotter) and also didn't have it when i ran an intel celeron as opposed to the sandy bridge 4 core (i3)....

So, I will be keeping my "fingers crossed" and hope for the best!
    Last edited by craig10x; February 8th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    @craig10x
    Pleased to return the favor. Ubuntu problems do have a tendency to skip in and out of reality. Like an astroid bouncing across a time warp

Beans
    Distro

@rrnbtter: too funny

Well, so far so good...got lots of updates since but no change...just as good as it has been since i got those saturday updates...it could have been something in the kernel itself or one of the other many updates that was included...i guess i will never know what did it, but whatever it was, i hope it keeps doing it! I've seen things get fixed that stayed that way permanently so i am really hoping that will be the case with this particular one I was "this close" to pulling out my windows 7 restore discs Now i can stay a happy Ubuntu-ite

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

craig10x, did try any other distros on this hardware? If so, were you seeing the same issues?

Beans
    Distro

Actually i did try others on this computer, malspa (the now defunct solus os which was debian based) and Linux Mint Debian Edition on my previous Toshiba (which was also i3 and intel graphics and had the same ubuntu problems)...and as i recall, they did not have it...On both laptops, ubuntu and it's variations (kubuntu/xubuntu) and Linux Mint and Zorin Os (ubuntu based) all had the instability problems...

I also had no problem with this on all my previous computers but they were mostly amds or intel cellerons or pentiums (which are not multi-core of course)...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast