Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Firefox 26 on Hardy Heron

Beans

Installing Firefox 26 on Hardy Heron

My mother was complaining of threats by Youtube and Facebook to stop supporting her current version of Firefox so I tried to install the new version: I first downloaded the file firefox-26.0.tar.bz2 then I deleted the existing form of Firefox. I tried to look up tutorials, on my laptop, to install the new version with the terminal but no command on any tutorial yielded anything but an error message, command not found, no existing directory, all that jazz. Then I decided to install another browser in the hope that it would be capable of updating itself as Firefox was not, I was unsuccessful in this endeavor seemlingly because the Add/Remove Applications thing seems to require the internet, and, having deleted Firefox, it was unable to reach the internet.

I guess I don't actually need Firefox 26, I just need some web browser that can be installed on Hardy Heron and can get updates and the updated flash player so it can continue to play videos and games on Facebook. I am fairly inept at this stuff so I request that any explanations of how I should go about achieving this goal be phrased very simply so I don't mess it up.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Beans

Re: Installing Firefox 26 on Hardy Heron

Huh??? Hardy H What?? What year is this?? Please make a flash install of a supported version of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Whichever browser you consider, check its minimum requirements. Some browsers insist on a minimum version number for the operating system because the additional software the browser needs may not be present (and possibly cannot be installed) on older operating systems.

Beans

The computer is 11 years old, it couldn't really handle an upgrade I don't think. Can I not make it work with Hardy?

Beans

You should try lubuntu 13.10 or xubuntu 12.04 LTS. BTW, Fifefox doesn't need install. Just extract and click "firefox" (or firefox-bin) but it may require some up to date system libraries.

Beans

And will upgrading get me those up-to-date system libraries?

Beans

Yes. Don't "upgrade". Backup your data and do a fresh install, with HH so far away I gurantee that upgrade will not work. And updated firefox is in the repository, no need to download from Mozilla.

Beans

Thank you, anything I should know about the fresh install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Probably, no.... certainly your cpu will not work with the latest flash that come in the newer *buntu version
    Which means you will have some work getting the old flash in place
    IIRC the Ubuntu derivative Mint, version 13 has made the older flash player available in it's repos
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Probably, no.... certainly your cpu will not work with the latest flash that come in the newer *buntu version
    Which means you will have some work getting the old flash in place
    IIRC the Ubuntu derivative Mint, version 13 has made the older flash player available in it's repos
    The 'latsest' flash from Ubuntu's repo is still 11.2 I think it will work. Old flash should be avoided because it is a security risk.

@OP Install the greasemonkey script Viewtube for Firefox and install gecko-mediaplayer. That way you don't need flash for some of the popular sites (Vimeo, Youtube, Dailymotion and a few others). With a machine that old even if flash works it is a drain on the system. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011

To do a fresh install, download an iso and make a bootable live CD or usb (if your machine supports booting from usb), then boot up and install on the whole disk. It is quite easy as you don't have multibooting or other strange layouts.

You may also try lxle http://lxle.net/
    There are some pros and cons IMHO I stated here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...125764&page=18
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 26th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast