Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS iso for installation already?

renato3 is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans

Question Is there an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS iso for installation already?

Hi guys, I'm looking forward Ubuntu 14.4 LTS. Is there an ISO for this version already?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Is there an Ubuntu 14.4 LTS iso for instalation already?

Moved to Ubuntu + 1

Hello!

14.04 is still in development and is not for everyday use unless you are either testing or willing to tolerate potential frequent breakage.

You may download the daily builds here.

Again, this is a development version.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks for your reply, I have some questions about it.

1. Since it has daily builds, how do I keep my OS up to date? Can I use apt-get as usual, or do I have to download these daily builds to manually upgrade the system?
    2. What is a "potential frequent breakage"? Does it mean my system will stop working out of nowhere or that I may experience some package version incompatibility, that prevent me to install new software?
    3. When Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is officially released, do I have to format my computer and reinstall it using the official ISO or can I just upgrade the system and keep it running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, you can update as usual.

Problems may range from none to "won't boot". It's in test mode. Updates will install new packages that are there to be tested. (Actually, there is no guarantee that any given daily image will work.)

Yes, you should be able to update into the actual release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To answer your questions

1) Those of us using Trusty Tahr (code name for 14.04 under development) usually update every day. Some of us use apt-get. Some of us use the Update Manager called Software Updater. After all Software Updater also has to be tested. Sometimes we get more information when the update process fails by running apt-get.

2) Trusty Tahr, like Raring Ringtail before it, is very stable. So stable as to be boring. But things can go wrong. Recently an update to a certain package broke the Ubuntu Loading process. We report these things on this section of the forum. Sometimes we can share workarounds. I have found it useful to become familiar with Recovery Mode as a means of doing updates as things can get fixed when the troublesome package is replaced by an update.

3) Once we install a development version and do regular updates it becomes the released version by release date.

It is not sensible to have a development version as your only version of Ubuntu. Create another partition and install Trusty Tahr into that. Dual/triple boot into Trusty Tahr. Then if it breaks you will still have a Ubuntu that you can use.

Get a note book (paper) and make a note of the workarounds that people suggest for fixing things and not only in this section but from other sections. Here is a good source of terminal commands.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1970289

Remember, sometimes/often the easiest and simplest way of fixing a broken installation is to download the latest daily image and re-install.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 26th, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thank you very much for your attention, I understand it now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Remember, sometimes/often the easiest and simplest way of fixing a broken installation is to download the latest daily image and re-install.Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Yes, you can update as usual.

Problems may range from none to "won't boot". It's in test mode. Updates will install new packages that are there to be tested. (Actually, there is no guarantee that any given daily image will work.)

Yes, you should be able to update into the actual release.
    Daily build from yesterday updated with zsync:

live image would not connect to wireless. Hmmmm. Haven't had that trouble with Unity daily builds. Might as well have stopped there.

install went O,K. except for no wireless internet during the install.

Booted to "busy box" would not even display "help". DOA (dead on arrival).

Well, I have another 14.04 image I'm booted on previously installed. Running O.K. but sure does occupy more and more disk space as updates are installed.

Since this is development, I've also got 13.04 and 13.10 partitions I can boot in case all the 14.04's go bonkers.

Yes you can update to the shipped image, but your install will still be a bunch larger than a fresh install.

Since this is development code, installs may find bugs to report. Finding bugs is why we are running 14,04,

I'll wait a couple days, zsync to the latest image, and try again. If the live image doesn't do wireless I'll stop there. I've tried ubuntu-bug when ubuntu wouldn't connect to the internet and didn't have much luck getting anyone in launchpad to look at it.

Beans

I can't wait for 14.04 official release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It is looking good, but as advised, don't go there to use as your main squeeze workhorse. Testing only.

Stick to a released stable. By all means, install 14.04 on another partition (or as a virtual machine), but reporting bugs and workarounds for 14.04 here is not the same as posting a regular support request in the regular sections of the forum that deal with released versions. Don't always expect answers as everyone's testing here and trying to find them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast