Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide between Xubuntu 12.04 or Elementary OS for old laptop.

Beans

Re: Trying to decide between Xubuntu 12.04 or Elementary OS for old laptop.

I've been looking at a new Ubuntu LTS-based OS that uses the Xfce desktop but is designed especially for older hardware (unlike Xubuntu now), called Linux Lite:

https://www.linuxliteos.com

And one the things that really attracts me to it is the way they have adapted it for new users. The menu, for example, has names that make sense: "File Manager" instead of "Thunar," for example. A new user wouln't have any idea what "Thunar" is, but a file manager is a file manager. The whole menu is like that.

Very lightweight, LTS-reliable, familiar Xfce interface, Steam preinstalled (!!!), easy on the eyes and the hardware. Definitely worth a look!

Beans

One concern about distros maintained by small groups is their long-term survival. Pear OS and Fuduntu come to mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I booted up elementary OS and it's running like a dream. What do you all think about it in terms of a distro?
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It's what you think of it that matters most. I've just had a look and I'll definitely be giving it a go in a virtual machine sometime soon.

One question to ask is how vibrant and helpful is the community? If you can't get much support then it could be hard if it gets flaky. I have no idea whether it is based on Ubuntu/Debian or what. But looks interesting.

Maybe you can tell us ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It's what you think of it that matters most. I've just had a look and I'll definitely be giving it a go in a virtual machine sometime soon.

One question to ask is how vibrant and helpful is the community? If you can't get much support then it could be hard if it gets flaky. I have no idea whether it is based on Ubuntu/Debian or what. But looks interesting.

Maybe you can tell us ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From Wikipedia:

elementary OS is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. It makes use of a desktop with its own shell named Pantheon,[2] and is deeply integrated with other elementary OS applications like Plank (a dock based on Docky), Midori (the default web browser) and Scratch (a simple text editor). This distribution uses Gala as its window manager,[3] which is based on Mutter.[2]

The distribution initially started as a set of themes and applications designed for Ubuntu which later turned into its own Linux distro.[4] Being Ubuntu-based, it is compatible with its repositories and packages. It uses Ubuntu's own software center to handle installation/removal of software, though its own software center is in the making.[5] Its user interface aims at being intuitive for new users without consuming too many resources and somewhat resembles the design of Apple's OS X.[6]
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you are enjoying Elementary OS, that is what matters. Bucky Hit it right on the nail with that statement. If it is working fine, not crashing, or anything like that, you are set basically. As you can see, quite a few people have a Light weight Linux they like, there is always another option too, but it takes a lot more work and time into it. Ubuntu Minimal install, then you pick what you want on your machine. That can keep it very light weight. You could for example install XFCE, rather than Xubuntu which uses XFCE. Something to think about too when doing the stuff. But again, it takes a lot more work.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RadicaX View Post
    Ubuntu Minimal install, then you pick what you want on your machine. That can keep it very light weight. You could for example install XFCE, rather than Xubuntu which uses XFCE. Something to think about too when doing the stuff. But again, it takes a lot more work.
    This is my modus operandi and works a treat for me as I can create the system that suits me exactly. I use this setup on an i3 with 4Gb RAM and a P4 with 1Gb.

I just did a minimal install with xfce4 and a few apps on a friend's tiny Dell netbook and I keep forgetting I am working on a tiny Dell netbook with a 1.6Ghz CPU and 1Gb of RAM. It flies!
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 27th, 2014 at 02:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm rather enjoying Elementary OS. I installed Xubuntu 12.04 but can't get it booted more then a few minutes before it shuts down. I'm thinking the fan is severely dirty and needs a clean out but I have no screwdrivers to take it apart. Also was going to install Bodhi, replacing 12.04 but my only optiion is a USB that has space..Can this be done?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    This is my modus operandi and works a treat for me as I can create the system that suits me exactly. I use this setup on an i3 with 4Gb RAM and a P4 with 1Gb.

I just did a minimal install with xfce4 and a few apps on a friend's tiny Dell netbook and I keep forgetting I am working on a tiny Dell netbook with a 1.6Ghz CPU and 1Gb of RAM. It flies!
    To that I have to say is Kudos to you. It is amazing when you minimize things yourself how much speed you truly can bump out of the machine. Not to mention it is good practice to do it. Why have a Torrent on your machine if you never use them? Why use a Word Processor if all the work you do is related to paint? That is always up to the person, the major distros try to be a one size fits all, and while they are still amazing, if you do a little work yourself, it just becomes a little more amazing.

@Sports fan.

I see, that is odd for it to crash on you, but 512 MB of Ram is not much for Xubuntu. Plus the life of 12.04 is coming to an end for Xubuntu 12.04 here soon. 14.04 is the new LTS, and unlike Kubuntu or Ubuntu Vanilla, it only gets three years of support from the Xubuntu team. (Though you still get security updates for the kernal of 12.04 from my understanding.) So Bodhi might be a better fit. If elementary is working for you, that is great.

Also, you can make a multiboot USB to try out several distros at once or to carry them around with you at all times. But simply putting it on the USB without making it a live USB will not let you boot from it. So if you see several other Linux you want to try, make a multiboot USB, if not, just make a normal live usb of the next one. but remember, if you keep having to format the USB, you are cutting its life down.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast