Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide between Xubuntu 12.04 or Elementary OS for old laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Trying to decide between Xubuntu 12.04 or Elementary OS for old laptop.

Ive narrowed it down to the fan being dirty (no screwdrivers to check the fan's case) but did remove the battery or the power supply is going bad. It's not that much of an expensive fix, less then $10 on Amazon.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ahh good. Sometimes that happens. But at least it is cheap to fix it and such.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This morning I booted it up and with a good certainty I'm sure it's the PSU going bad. My question is what is the average life of a PSU? Keep in mind this machine (as far as I can tell with research I can find is roughly ten years old) I'm not one hundred percent sure when HP made the DV 4000, but reviews are from around 2005 that I have seen.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I had the DV6000 from 2007 and it lasted barely three years. There was a known defect though and HP recalled them worldwide.

Ten years old? I'd say that is a very good innings and wouldn't be surprised if it was slowly dying. If it is a user replaceable part and you can do it cheaply (very) then perhaps, but if you need to get the motherboard replaced it will cost more than the machine is worth (as much as a cheap laptop probably) unless you are capable of replacing a motherboard (or screen) yourself.

If the repair shop is the only answer, perhaps time for a new laptop ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Bucky, agreed. It may not be the PSU, just thinking out loud. This could be as easy as a power supply going bad. Are there any dignostics I could run to see what could be the issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Bucky Ball,

Keep in mind this is a travel laptop-I have a much more powerful one I bought last year (Toshiba L875) with 4 gigs ram, 640 GB hard drive. I think the issue with this one is the power supply going bad. I'll replace it and let you all know.

This brings up an interesting question..As a community, what older laptops have you installed Linux on that are still in service?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I just recently did a minimal install using xfce4 as the desktop environment on an dinky old Dell netbook with 1.6GHz CPU and 1Gb RAM. Works a treat. Used it to play music with Audacious at an all-day lunch gathering yesterday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Very cool

Going to replace the power supply at the beginning of the month. Cheap fix on Amazon and i'm pretty sure since I heard it "shock", that is the problem culprit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I was able to triple boot Xubuntu 12.04, Elementary OS and Windows XP. All on a 100 GB Hard drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Very cool.

Are they on small partitions and sharing the data from one big NTFS data drive? You might be able to squeeze more out of it that way. The three installs probably only need 30Gb tops between them (if Elementary is Debian/Ubuntu based it can share the existing /swap).

Replace the folders in the /home of the Linux installs with symlinks to the data in the NTFS /data partition and link Windows also. This way you can kill any of the installs and personal data is on another partition. Also no data redundancy/duplication.

PS: I tried elementary out in Virtualbox. Not bad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast