Thread: Is there an OSX compatibility layer?

Beans

Question Is there an OSX compatibility layer?

Is there an OSX compatibility layer?

WINE is a compatibility layer (right?) and assists in running and executing windows binaries and translates requests to the non-windows machine to enable a smoothe and hopefully stable experience.

I am wondering if there is an OSX equivalent, for OSX-only binaries, is there a compatibility layer like WINE, but instead of windows, it serves OSX applications.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is there an OSX compatibility layer?

There is Darling, however it is capable of running only command line tools and basic GUIs.

What kind of apps are you hoping to get running?

Beans

Well, my initial thought was that since OSX is built on the BSD kernel (right?) It might be possible to run native OSX apps that you'd otherwise run in WINE with their windows binary in a much smoother way. Without near as many hiccups.

Otherwise, there are just a couple stupid apps on my macbook that can easily be replaced or aren't even necessary in the first place that I'd like to have on my main computer, which runs Ubuntu.

I am not a programmer, I can hack PERL and PHP scripts, thats about all. So my ideas of efficiency and the abilities of a compatibility layer are probably way off base.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I believe OS X is based upon the Mach kernel, which was developed as a replacement for the BSD kernel.

Have you considered running a virtual machine in order to run your OS X apps?