Thread: ddclient invalid login warning

Beans

Unhappy ddclient invalid login warning

Dearest Ubuntu users,

I have a ddclient configuration that updates correctly. Yes, it works.. EXCEPT I cannot get rid of this 'WARNING' message:

Code:
    WARNING:  skipping host: : 'login=' is an invalid login.WARNING:  skipping host: : 'login=' is an invalid login.
    SUCCESS:  updating *: good: IP address set to 67.225.30.217
    SUCCESS:  updating @: good: IP address set to 67.225.30.217

I installed ddclient via apt-get, then applied this patch for namecheap to work with infinite sub-domains:
    http://thornelabs.net/2012/08/22/lin...p-domains.html

This is my config file:
    Code:
    # Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf#
    # /etc/ddclient.conf
     daemon=600                 # check every x seconds
     syslog=yes                  # log update msgs to syslog
    #mail=root                   # mail all msgs to root
    #mail-failure=root           # mail failed update msgs to root
    #pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid   # record PID in file.
    #proxy=proxy.server.com:8080 # local proxy server (do not use with ssl)
    #ssl=yes                     # ddclient 3.7.0 and above support ssl updates
    #wildcard=no                 # add wildcard CNAME (anything_string_matches.your$

protocol='namecheap',
    login='XXX',
    password='XXXX',
    server='dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com',
    use=web, web='172.16.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0', web-skip='IP Address',
    @,*
    Now I've searched and searched to see how to removed the issue or even silence the warnings, but to no avail. I've tried with and without quotes, reordering the server and protocol positions to be either top or bottom. It always always gives me the same warning, even though my domain is being updated successfully.

If anyone can solve this, or even tell me how to get rid of annoying warning, I would be very appreciate. ddclient -quiet or ddclient -noverbose doesn't work.

Thank you so much for your time.
    Last edited by ssk-copan; January 25th, 2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Found solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ddclient

I would move the line that starts use=web... into the global section (top section) and then change the protocol section to match the example on the namecheap website (i.e. lose the commas at the end of lines).
    Please ask Google, check the man pages, and search the forum before creating new threads; that may help you narrow down/solve the issue.
    If your issue is solved please use the Thread Tools menu above your original post to mark it as such.

Beans

Talking Re: ddclient

SOLUTION TO WARNING MESSAGE: "WARNING: skipping host: : 'login=' is an invalid login."

Since it was already giving me a warning, I never thought to run

Code:
    ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet
    Then you get this message at the bottom:

Code:
    Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 2102.
    The file /usr/sbin/ddclient will reveal that there are default settings outside of the ddclient.conf file. Ddclient is trying to read settings from this file, and they are not set.

See line 335 of /usr/sbin/ddclient
    Code:
        'service-common-defaults'       => {        'server'              => setv(T_FQDNP,  1, 0, 1, 'members.dyndns.org', $
            'login'               => setv(T_LOGIN,  1, 0, 1, '',                  u$
            'password'            => setv(T_PASSWD, 1, 0, 1, '',                  u$
            'host'                => setv(T_STRING, 1, 1, 1, '',                  u$
    You can then change it to a dyndns account if you have one, or something else. This will clear the warning.

You read it here on ubuntuforums.org!