Thread: Asus Transformer Products

Beans

Asus Transformer Products

Hello, I have a question about these specific Asus products and their compability with Ubuntu (a touch version)
    Asus Tranfsformer Pad TF701T VS. Asus Transformer Book T100

I really need a new kind of Laptop and I am almost sure which one. I think I will decide between those two.
    Both have their pros and cons, but I would choose the one thats is compatible with ubuntu.
    If none of them is, is it expectable, that in the next time there will be a ubuntu version that is really working for one of these products.
    I saw a video where ubuntu runs on the T100 but it had no touch funktion and it was only from USB-drive. Another was on the TF700 , it was ubuntu touch but it looked really slow. I would like ubuntu to be the main system and that the important funktions all work and that it works fast ! Is this realistic ?

edit: I am not familliar with deep funktions of linux, I use ubuntu for my Laptop since 2012, but the main reason was safety and stability, so I think I won't be able to make my own ubuntu version or modify an existing very much...
    Thanks for your answer in advance - Mallwan
    Last edited by mall-1; January 25th, 2014 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Asus Transformer Products

Hi,

I just got the T100 and right now linux support is very poor. There are many of us working on it though -- I think by the time 14.04 comes around, things will be much better. In the meantime, Ubuntu works O.K. in Virtualbox on Win8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Asus Transformer Products

Here's the status right now on the T100: I put up a draft (ugly) walkthrough of how to get everything set up, including sound, wifi, etc... at least, as far as I've got.

http://www.jfwhome.com/2014/03/07/pe...mer-book-t100/

Let me know if there's anything that I've remembered wrongly. (I disclaim all responsibility if you brick your laptop).

I expect by kernel 3.15+ (i.e. Ubuntu 14.10), most things will be working well.