Thread: No Permissions to extract zip files

Beans

No Permissions to extract zip files

Never used ubuntu before. I want to install bolehvpn on a VM with ubuntu. I can download file. When I try to extract zip files to etc/openvpn I get access denied. you do not have permissions. When I try and create new folders inside openvpn folder I get access denied, you do not have permission. I tried sudo nautilus but this does not give me access to file system where I need to extract and add files. I am not a novice to windows but I am to ubuntu so I hope this is not my one and only try with linux

Beans

Re: No Permissions to extract zip files

If you run unzip from the command line, you can use sudo with it, and extract the files wherever you want.
    Code:
    sudo unzip ...
    "sudo nautilus" should give you access to everything. Could you provide more detail on why that's not working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try this for root permission in the file browser. Warning! With nautilus in root mode you can delete critical files and break your system.
    Code:
    gksu nautilus

Beans

when I run sudo nautilus in a terminal I get my home directory. I need access to the file system where I can extract zip files to the folder ect/openvpn. All I get in nautilus is a home directory.

Beans

okay I did it. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Smytth View Post
    when I run sudo nautilus in a terminal I get my home directory. I need access to the file system where I can extract zip files to the folder ect/openvpn. All I get in nautilus is a home directory.
    You should be able to navigate through the File System in nautilus.

But, you can always just open /etc/openvpn:
    Code:
    gksu nautilus /etc/openvpn