Thread: HowTo put URL on Desktop...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HowTo put URL on Desktop...

I have a web site I reference often, and I would like to (somehow), put the URL on my Desktop so that I can just click (or double-click) on it to go to that website. How To? (Or any other suggestions.)
    A to Z Answers to a lot of your questions....NewDocs.
    Book Download about 13.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: HowTo put URL on Desktop...

Well, I'm using Xfce desktop environment and you simply right click the desktop and 'Create URL link'. Not sure what flavour you're using, but it should be a similar approach (it was the same procedure in Gnome from memory, not sure about Unity).

You need to 'create a url link'. Maybe use that for a search and add 'ubuntu' to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have done this simply by drag and drop in 12,04 and on newer versions made a Unity launcher for a web site with alacarte/main menu. With the main menu open select a category and once there add a new item and create a name and add an icon. The command is as follows and you would adding the desired url.I made a Pandora Launcher for an example.
    Code:
     firefox%u http://www.pandora.com/
    The new icon can be added to favorites and will open FF to the desired page or open a new tab if FF is already open . There are other methods , but I;m not a fan of desktop icons so search the forum because the question has been asked before.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alacarte
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; January 24th, 2014 at 12:26 AM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball
    You need to 'create a url link'. Maybe use that for a search and add 'ubuntu' to it.
    I did, and it gave the solution: Go to the URL you want on your desktop. Click on the object to the left of the URL and drag it to your desktop and release it. This will put a link to the URL on the desktop. If you double-click on the link, it will take you to the web site. This is in Ubuntu 12.04. I don't know about other distros. Have fun.
    Last edited by bc.haynes; January 29th, 2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: correction
    A to Z Answers to a lot of your questions....NewDocs.
    Book Download about 13.10.