Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious NFS Issues

Beans

Re: Serious NFS Issues

I don't see "no_root_squash" among the options in the definitions in /etc/exports. If you try and mount a share as root without no_root_squash enabled on the server, it will not use root's UID 0 but the "nobody" UID. From "man /etc/exports":
    Very often, it is not desirable that the root user on a client machine is also treated as root when accessing files on the NFS server. To this end, uid 0 is normally mapped to a different id: the so-called anonymous or nobody uid. This mode of operation (called ‘root squashing’) is the default, and can be turned off with no_root_squash.
    Since the anonymous user has, at best, only read permissions to mounted filesystems, you'll have problems with writing files to the mounted share. So just change /etc/exports to include "no_root_squash" among the options for any share you'll want to mount as root on the client.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I don't see "no_root_squash" among the options in the definitions in /etc/exports. If you try and mount a share as root without no_root_squash enabled on the server, it will not use root's UID 0 but the "nobody" UID. From "man /etc/exports":

Since the anonymous user has, at best, only read permissions to mounted filesystems, you'll have problems with writing files to the mounted share. So just change /etc/exports to include "no_root_squash" among the options for any share you'll want to mount as root on the client.
    Thanks, I'll try that next. I just had it lock up again today. This time, it happened when I tried to use Clonezilla to save a hard disk image over NFS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jlacroix View Post
    ...I just had it lock up again today. This time, it happened when I tried to use Clonezilla to save a hard disk image over NFS.
    Did you try the async option on the /etc/exports listings? I have a setup just like you (i.e 12.04 and NSFv4). Reading from my install notes I also see this:
    If directories and files on the client are owned by uid/gid 4294967294:4294967294) then you need to set in /etc/default/nfs-common:

NEED_IDMAPD=yes
    The above is from here and although it states that it applies to "Ubuntu 11.10 or earlier" I have found that Ubuntu 12.04 also needs this fix. I have used this setting on my Ubuntu 12.04, non KERBROS NFSv4 installs.

I think all you need is to set the exports to async and edit the /etc/default/nfs-common appropriately. I don't think "no_root_squash" has anything to do with your problems.
    Last edited by bab1; January 25th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.
    -BAB1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    I don't think "no_root_squash" has anything to do with your problems.
    Well the OP is trying to mount the share as root with sudo:

sudo mount -t nfs4 -o rw pluto:/share/Archive /mnt/Pluto/Archive
    so his identity will be "squashed" by the server.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Well the OP is trying to mount the share as root with sudo:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t nfs4 -o rw pluto:/share/Archive /mnt/Pluto/Archive
    The OP is running the mount command as root not setting the ownership as root.
    ...so his identity will be "squashed" by the server.
    I'm not saying it's wise to allow root. I'm saying that this is not the cause of the OP's errors.
    Last edited by bab1; January 26th, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I appreciate all of the replies you guys. It might be fixed. I'm not certain if one or more of the suggestions here fixed it or if I've been lucky lately, but nfs hasn't locked up the server since the last time I posted about it. Further, the permissions are showing properly now so that's fixed at least. I'll consider this solved for now unless it locks up again.

Thanks all!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jlacroix View Post
    I appreciate all of the replies you guys. It might be fixed. I'm not certain if one or more of the suggestions here fixed it or if I've been lucky lately, but nfs hasn't locked up the server since the last time I posted about it. Further, the permissions are showing properly now so that's fixed at least. I'll consider this solved for now unless it locks up again.

Thanks all!
    For future readers tell us what fixes you did apply, even if you don't know what actually fixed your problems.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I added the async and no_root_squash options to /etc/exports. I also added NEED_IDMAPD=yes to /etc/default/nfs-common. I restarted the both portmap and nfs-kernel-server after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12