Thread: HP DV 4000 partition help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

HP DV 4000 partition help

I have an HP DV 4000 with 512 MB ram and a 100 GB hard drive running Xubuntu. I need help in trying to get rid of my Ubuntu lucid install so I can save space. Anyone that can help me through GParted or maybe boot info script?
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro

Re: HP DV 4000 partition help

screenshot:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans

Whichever OS you were booted into when you took that screenshot is using /dev/sda7 for / and /dev/sda8 for swap, I assume there is no /home partition?

/dev/sda5, dev/sda/9 & /dev/sda6 would belong to the other OS, I'm assuming 5 & 9 would be the root & home partitions, do you have a dedicated home partition in the other OS?

From a terminal the 'df' command will quickly show you which partition is root & which is home for the OS you are booted into.

You also only need a single swap partition between OSes so you could delete both and create a single new one.
    Last edited by mips; January 23rd, 2014 at 11:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I actually did a bit of tinkering around with the partitions and it seems like I have a lot of unfinished partitions ones I can't move or use etc. I jut want to for now save SDA 7. Everything else can go to either SDA 1 (Windows) or SDA 7 (Xubuntu 12.04) How can I clean up what seems to be a lot of mess? Think I'd prefer the extra space to go to my Xubuntu install.
    Attached Images Attached Images