Garmin vs *TomTom GPS

Beans

Re: Why do we take side ?

Human nature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The article describes a human foible -- admiration for a non-human, abstract idea powered by an emotional commitment. The guy loves Microsoft so much he literally cannot stand to hear criticism of the company. He can't even hear praise of a competing company without getting worked up.

Taking sides is human nature. I'm not at all sure that the emotional fanboyism described in the article is healthy, though.

I mean, when we're aroused (fight, flight, or freeze response), then a bunch of chemicals are released by our hypothalmus, pituitary, adrenals, etc. Heart rate goes up, blood leaves the body core and goes to the muscles, our brain gets hyper-alert. If a person keeps going into that state -- repeated and prolonged stress response -- it has a hell of an impact on their health. A negative impact.

I have preferences, sure. Everyone does. But I also kind of like the Buddhist idea of "non-attachment" -- you can prefer something without forming a big emotional attachment to it.

Edit:

How do people think about fanboyism in the context of Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu?

My thoughts in brief: Ubuntu is somewhat different from Mac and Windows in that developer-users seem curiously unwilling to say "UBUNTU, right or wrong!" Instead, they say....Uh, how about forking Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Elementary, Precise Puppy....I dunno how many distros have been forked from Ubuntu over the years. Granted, you can't fork a proprietary OS!

What about it? Are Linux users less or more likely to be fanboy extremists than Mac or Windows users?
    Last edited by Don_Stahl; January 22nd, 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Stahl View Post
    Are Linux users less or more likely to be fanboy extremists than Mac or Windows users?
    I don't think so. Extremists exist in all walks of life. If anything from my experience, I think Mac fans are probably the most prone to fanboyism.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Knowing what you like, and knowing why you like it, is not taking sides.

Deciding you like something because you want to mimic other people you wish you resembled is childish. And, a sign you don't know yourself well enough to know what you like.

A lot of this "this versus that" business is fueled, especially in Linux, by an amateurish media that likes to frame stories as battles between X and Y. In most cases, there's no battle there at all.

Fanboys (the gender specification is probably important) are basically engaging in juvenile hero worship. Weak egos, maybe?
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; January 23rd, 2014 at 02:14 PM.

Beans

"fanboy" is a term usually employed by pots addressing kettles.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leclerc65 View Post
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/21/53...nd-of-a-fanboy

Here are some of mine. The * is the favorite
    Algebraic vs *RPN calculators
    *Canon vs Nikon cameras
    *Beta vs VHS
    Garmin vs *TomTom GPS
    Thanks for the link. That was an interesting read. Going on Twitter and name calling is just in bad taste. At least have a basis for your argument. Sounds like that guy has anger management issues.