Thread: Yet another misrecovered account

Sarah_K is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Yet another misrecovered account

Hi, my old account (the one I thought I was recovering) was ubusarah:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=82224
    I really would prefer to have that account back if possible.
    I still have access to the email address that account was registered to, but I would now prefer the email address I used to accidentally create this new account.
    Thanks for the help, and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Sarah

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Yet another misrecovered account

The easiest way to get you into the ubusarah account is for you to set the yahoo address as preferred in Ubuntu One and for us to then disassociate this account and disable it. Once you have associated your Ubuntu One account with the ubusarah forum account, you can set any email address as you wish in Ubuntu One and in the forum account - once the accounts are associated, the emails don't even have to match. Which means that you can reset your current Ubuntu One email back as preferred once the association has been done. So...

Please set the yahoo address as preferred in Ubuntu One and then post back confirming you have done so. An admin with then disassociate this forum account and disable it (so that you can use the email in the ubusarah account if you so wish).
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please set the SSO preferred email to that used to register ubusarah. Once done, this account can be disassociated with SSO, and your next login should reconnect you with the old account. After the link is established, you can change either/both email accounts as you see fit.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Hmm, ok, I think I've found the problem; I have two SSO accounts. It wouldn't let me add the yahoo address as it was already in use...

The SSO account I think was originally associated with ubusarah I've labeled "Sarah K AcctA". It has the yahoo account as its preferred address, and I've now associated another address with it.

The other one I've labeled "Sarah K AcctB". It looks like I created that one in 2009 to access shipit.ubuntu.com.

They're both associated with this login, and not with ubusarah.

What should I do now?

Thanks again for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can probably delete one of the SSO accounts and then modify the other.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_K View Post
    The SSO account I think was originally associated with ubusarah I've labeled "Sarah K AcctA". It has the yahoo account as its preferred address, and I've now associated another address with it.

The other one I've labeled "Sarah K AcctB". It looks like I created that one in 2009 to access shipit.ubuntu.com.

They're both associated with this login, and not with ubusarah.
    Just to add to what Iowan said, you cannot have two Ubuntu One accounts associated with one forum account. Or rather, the system wouldn't allow you to do that. Your Sarah K AcctB Ubuntu One account is associated with this forum account. The ubusarah account has no Ubuntu One account associated with it at the moment. What I suggest you do is to set the yahoo address as preferred in the Sarah K AcctA Ubuntu One account and log in. So long as you set the correct yahoo address you will log into ubusarah. Once you have logged into ubusarah, pm me and I will disable this account. You will then be able to delete the Sarah K AcctB Ubuntu One account safely.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, pm me and we'll do this another way. By the way, if you do log into ubusarah successfully, you won't be able to post to this thread - the permissions for this section allow only the OP and staff to post to a particular thread.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Aha, I've found the other half of the confusion: I inadvertently created TWO new forum accounts, one associated with each SSO account. The new forum accounts look identical except for the u= parameter, which is why I didn't notice what was going on yesterday. This morning I tried everything in a much more systematic way so now the double SSO account/double new forum account situation is more evident.

I had originally tried to add the yahoo address to the AcctB account, but the system wouldn't let me because it said that email address was already in use by the AcctA account.

So... what next? The yahoo address is already preferred in AcctA.

I would try deleting one or the other sso account, but I don't want to start guessing on my own and make things worse... I assume that what needs to happen is to disable both new forum accounts and for me to delete either AcctA or AcctB, but I don't know which order those things need to be done in.

Summary as I understand things at the moment, and a log of what I've tried, below...

Thanks again.

SSO AcctA yahoo email
    ubuntu2AT secondary
    logs into 1899567 (Sarah_K)
    SSO AcctB
    (this thread)
    ubuntuAT email logs into 1899549 (Sarah_K)
    n/a yahoo email(?) 82224 (ubusarah)
    Code:
    Using Chrome...

clear 
    - browsing history
    - download history
    - delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
    - empty the cache
    - from beginning of time
    paste thread url
    am not logged in
    login w/sso button
    enter AcctA w yahoo email addr and sso password
    [My Acct in 2nd tab: shows AcctA w yahoo email preferred]
    click "Yes, log in"
    forum says, "Welcome, Sarah_K"
    click "My Profile"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1899567
    join date Jan 21, 2014

close both tabs

clear 
    - browsing history
    - download history
    - delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
    - empty the cache
    - from beginning of time
    paste thread url
    am not logged in
    login w/sso button
    enter AcctB with ubuntuAT email addr and sso password
    [My Acct in 2nd tab: shows AcctB w/ubuntuAT email preferred]
    click "Yes, log me in"
    forum says "Welcome, Sarah_K"
    click "My Profile"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1899549
    Join date Jan 21, 2014
    [Note: The '549 account is the one with the thread in Resolution Centre]

Search for ubusarah
    View Profile
    http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=82224
    Join Date March 29th, 2006

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think the easiest thing would be for you to pm me quoting the yahoo address associated with the ubusarah account - as a security check - and also let me know which of the Ubuntu One accounts you wish to associate with ubusarah. I can transfer the link without you needing to change any emails anywhere just yet. Once we manage to get you logging into ubusarah, I can disable the Sarah_K and Sarah_K. forum accounts (note the period at the end of the username for the one currnetly linked with the Sarah K AcctA Ubuntu One account) and release the two emails from both those accounts so that you can re-use one of them - those are emails with the same non-yahoo domain. That makes it unnecessary for you to reset your Ubuntu One email just yet, and once you've deleted the unneeded Ubuntu One account, you should be able to set emails as you wish in the forum account and in Ubuntu One. They won't have to match if we do it this way.