• Python

169 76.13%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perl vs Python

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Perl vs Python

I know that some people here are Python mania. But is Python much better than Perl in getting the job done: making easy job easier and making difficult job possible. I have learned Perl some time ago and it is quite nice especially the regular expressions. I'm thinking about making Python a solution maker upon Perl and I need some considerations.

What do you people think? Is Python a better solution than Perl? Or is it uncomparable since they both have their own purposes?
    Last edited by defkewl; March 25th, 2005 at 01:38 PM.

Beans

Re: Perl vs Python

Have you considered Ruby? Regular expression support on par with and possibly exceeding Perl, and an object model that's at least on par with Python's. Plus, cleaner syntax.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ah, ye old Perl versus Python debate.
    As far as regular expressions go, Python has regular expressions just like Perl does. Python, however, deals with regexs much like it does everything else: as objects, with methods, etc.
    Python is much, much easier to read than Perl, even Wall has stated that "there are too many ways to accomplish a simple task in Perl.". This isn't a feature; it tends to make code unreadable, and as the old joke goes, go back and try to read your Perl code 6 months after writing it.
    I'd invite you to read Eric Raymond's amazing essay on Perl versus Python.
    It really depends on the programmer, but, personally, I don't write anything in Perl anymore. Python, and on the web side, PHP, fulfill everything I used to use Perl for.
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by dataw0lf
    Ah, ye old Perl versus Python debate.
    No I'm not making a debate just a discussion for a better solution. As I noted before whether Perl and Python are simply two different tools for accomplishing two different tasks.

Yes indeed Python has a very clean syntax, but is that much more important than the language feature. What I don't get quite comfortable with Perl is the OOP concept, it's a modification from what it already has.

Anybody else has some experience with these two? I've never used it in real world scenario yet, I've only learn the language. I'll get back more on this after I study them both.

Thnx

Beans

Too bad you didn't make this a poll . I love polls . This would be an interesting thread for me to follow, as I am trying to learn more of both languages. So keep it up .

Beans

I still prefer Python over just about every language I've learned up till today.

That should tell you something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Python would be much more nicer if it has a large repository like CPAN.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by defkewl
    Anybody else has some experience with these two? I've never used it in real world scenario yet, I've only learn the language. I'll get back more on this after I study them both.
    Python has a bit more syntactic supprt for object-oriented programming. Ok, a lot more, but, it's still fairly hackish. Prepending an instance member name with underscores to make it private? That's absurd.

Additionally, it's not that difficult to do OO programming in Perl. Tedious at times, yes, but not difficult.

That said...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by defkewl
    No I'm not making a debate just a discussion for a better solution. As I noted before whether Perl and Python are simply two different tools for accomplishing two different tasks.

Yes indeed Python has a very clean syntax, but is that much more important than the language feature. What I don't get quite comfortable with Perl is the OOP concept, it's a modification from what it already has.

Thnx
    I use both python and perl at work. However perl mostly for updating and modifying existing scripts, and python for any new work.

Both languages can be used to handle the same sort of tasks. I know a lot comes down to personal preference, however I don't know many people who know both perl and python that don't prefer python.

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Many said that you use Perl for system administration task and reporting while for bigger scale project use Python instead. For larger project using Perl could get really nifty since the readibility is not as good as Python.

Also, is it much easier for web programming using Python? Also for GUI programming with Tk, which one is easier? Anyone has got comments on this?

Thnx

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast