Thread: Changing apache user and group for multiboot- too ambitious?

Beans

Changing apache user and group for multiboot- too ambitious?

Hi, I posted this over at the owncloud forums; it may be better that I post it here:

I have a server with owncloud for file delivery for my small sound design business. I'm a one-man operation, so it doesn't require much. It's running mainly on mavericks, multibooting mavericks 10.9.1, windows 7, and ubuntu server 13.10.

Now, and I know this may be too ambitious, but ideally, I would like all three OSes to keep the same server alive every time I reboot. I haven't figured a way to make that happen, so I've long considered it a lost cause; however, I'm wondering if it's possible with just OS X Server and Ubuntu Server. All 3 OSes have permission to read and write on all filesystems (ntfs, hfs+ and ext4) via paragon's drivers. Owncloud's data dir is on a separate internal hfs+ drive with only one partition.

Under OS X, it works fairly well, but the console is giving me loads of errors that are, as I understand it, unrelated to owncloud (recent OS X server update). The errors aren't what I'm here about (I'm getting there, I promise). This is leading to somewhat sluggish performance, so it's motivated me to look into using Ubuntu.

The question I have is:
    Under Ubuntu, apache runs as user www-data. In OS X, it runs as user _www. Is it safe (or possible) to change the username and group for apache in Ubuntu to _www? If I do so, is it possible that it will be granted permissions on the data drive?

Since Ubuntu can read and write to hfs+, I don't anticipate many problems mounting the drive except for the fact that apache uses a different name in each OS. Is it possible to give apache permission to access via fstab?

In my head, it kinda makes sense, but it if I'm guessing correctly, I'd also have to grant Ubuntu access to the MySQL database used by OS X for owncloud to work. I don't want to screw up or corrupt anything on the mac side by prying in from linux, so would it be possible to move the database to the same drive as the data (or another shared partition of whatever format), so that both can access it with correct permissions?

In Ubuntu, the only things currently installed besides the default installation are filesystem drivers, apache, php, mysql, and owncloud (not setup yet). I can wipe and reinstall the entire partition if I need to do so.

I really think it's possible, but may not be worth the massive headache. Anyone tried a similar setup or have suggestions as to using either system? My workstation is a (real) mac, and I'm in the process of procuring a new mac pro to work on, so keeping the entire local network on OS X would be ideal. I also like the simplicity of the OS X Server application- I am a sound designer, not a software engineer, so it suits me well. I wouldn't be totally opposed to using Ubuntu server exclusively, but I'd like to stay away from Windows (more of a utility partition, as well as some light gaming).

There's more to do with syncing to external servers (dropbox, gdrive, and so on), but it doesn't seem relevant, so I'll go ahead and stop. My thanks to anyone who has advice
    Kyle Hughes

Environment: HomeServer maybe?
    Server: Apache
    Database: MySQL
    Client: Safari, Finder, whatever my client's client is
    OC-Version: 6.0.0a
    PHP-Version: 5.4.17
    Last edited by kylehughes1; January 21st, 2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: edited to redirect conversation focus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Changing apache user and group for multiboot- too ambitious?

Bearing in mind that we do not condone the cirucumvention of EULAs and TOSs on the Forums -- into which category Hackintosh falls -- I am disposed to leave this open only if the discussion remains strictly related to the Ubuntu question regardless of how that may or may not have a delitorious effect on the other OS.

If it strays, the thread will be closed.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Ah- that makes sense. Thanks for the consideration. I've edited the post.

Anyone successfully attempted to change the user or group that other services operate under; eg, will changing the name of the 'wheel' group cause the system to freak out?

kyle

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can change the running user for apache if you want

Just add a new system user (-s flag in useradd), and name it _www-data
    Then, switch Apache to use the _www-data user/group, and all should be fine
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Perhaps multi-boot is not the best solution. Have you considered using a virtual machine to host? Simply Choose Mac OSX as your main flavor, install VirtualBox then install Ubuntu and/or Windows as VM's.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.