Thread: Webcam can only show 720p image, although 3200x2400 Pictures are supported

Beans

Webcam can only show 720p image, although 3200x2400 Pictures are supported

Hello to you all,
    I just bought a Tecknet C016 Webcam from Amazon. My Ubuntu recognized it right away, but Cheese and other Programs can only take 720p Pictures. on the Packaging it says:
    "-Webcam with 1280x720 hardware resolution for sharp image. ideal for MSN/Live Messenger, Skype, etc.
    - Up to 7.6 mega pixels resolution Image Capture: 3200x2400 Resolution (Enhanced by the Software)"
    What Software can I use to Enhance the Pictures? Is it worth the work or will the Pictures be just as bad?
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Webcam can only show 720p image, although 3200x2400 Pictures are supported

I think it means that you can create video with the resolution 1280x720 (p means progressive, opposite to interlaced) and photos with the resolution 3200x2400.

Try more with the available software, I think you'll find ways to create videos and photos according to the specs. Otherwise come back, and you'll get more advice

Beans

That's the problem. There is no available software for linux, I can only use v4l2. With Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows I get better quality and higher Resolution Images.
    Is there any software better than v4l2 that I can use?

Beans
    Hidden!

Can Cheese take only 1280x720 pictures (photos)?

Maybe the problem is that you have found no good linux program that can manage that webcam. Support for peripheral devices is one of the weak spots of linux, due to lack of interest from the manufacturers of those devices. But someone reading this might have a good suggestion.

What about the simple tool Guvcview available in Lubuntu? It works with a built-in webcam in my Toshiba laptop (it supports video4linux2, I don't know if it can do more advanced things with your camera).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by B_Tutzer View Post
    Hello to you all,
    I just bought a Tecknet C016 Webcam from Amazon. My Ubuntu recognized it right away, but Cheese and other Programs can only take 720p Pictures. on the Packaging it says:
    "-Webcam with 1280x720 hardware resolution for sharp image. ideal for MSN/Live Messenger, Skype, etc.
    - Up to 7.6 mega pixels resolution Image Capture: 3200x2400 Resolution (Enhanced by the Software)"
    What Software can I use to Enhance the Pictures? Is it worth the work or will the Pictures be just as bad?
    Thanks
    Have you found desired software to solve this issue? Have you read this article?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam