Thread: How to save display resolution between sessions LXDE

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post How to save display resolution between sessions LXDE

Hi folks I want to take a minute and explain what I just did to SOLVE the problem people are having with display resolution settings not being persistent from session to session. I hope this will save some people some headaches, since i just spent 4 hours trying different approaches to varying degrees of success and then stumbled on what seems is the easy way...

First to clarify im using Lubuntu 13.10 and simply put, the 'issue' is that at every login/reboot you have to use lxrandr (or xrandr) to set the display resolution (for me it was from 1024x768 to 1280x1024)

Here is the step by step starting from login:

1. Open the menu and select Preferences>Monitor Settings (lxrandr).
    2. Select your desired default resolution and click 'Save', you can repeat and use 'Apply' at this point if you need more screen size for the rest of this...
    3. Press alt+f2 and input 'leafpad ~/.config/autostart/lxrandr-autostart.desktop'. In the file that opens you will see a line begining with 'Exec=xrandr ...' highlight and copy(ctrl+c) everything after the = sign then close leafpad
    4. Again open the menu this time go to Preferences>Default applications for LXsession (lxsession-default-apps)
    5. On the left side go to the fourth tab (Options) and there you will see the fourth entry down is XRandr.
    6. Change the 'mode' to 'command' and in the 'command' box paste(ctrl+v) what we just copied from leafpad. It should start with 'xrandr --output ...'
    7. Click Apply and Reload (if you didn't repeat step 2 this will activate your desired resolution setting)

THATS IT!!! you should now have whatever setting you chose activate each time you log in. You don't need to edit any other files or even learn all of the options of xrandr. However you are not limited to just this command you can put whatever xrandr command you want in the XRandr entry in lxsession-default-apps. For instance setup multiple monitors, use panning and virtual desktop sizes, anything xrandr will allow, see man xrandr
    or xrandr --help

It would be nice to have this info marked for the Lubuntu croud or even edited into a nice HOW-TO (you have my permission). Whatever the admin's care to do with it. Also if some guru has some free time im sure this can all be done in 3 or 4 lines on a terminal...

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps

Beans

Re: How to save display resolution between sessions LXDE

Thanks for the tip, it worked perfect, Rob.

Beans

I found my lxrandr-autostart.desktop ​file to be completely empty for some reason. Any ideas?

Beans

I have same issue: lxrandr-autostart.desktop ​file - completely empty

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ptrwcz View Post
    I have same issue: lxrandr-autostart.desktop ​file - completely empty
    Try launching an editor from a terminal. I had the same problem.