Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: viewport/workspace switcher breaks desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: viewport/workspace switcher breaks desktop

@ slooksterpsv: I was thinking along those lines, but wanted to make sure what seemed to be working was actually consistent.

Code:
    me@unknown:~$ gnome-shell --replace
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
    Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Failed to register AuthenticationAgent
    Gjs-Message: JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Tue Jan 21 2014 23:57:30 GMT-0700 (MST)
    Code:
    me@unknown:~$ compiz --replace
    compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
    compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
    compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp
    compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: ccp
    compizconfig - Info: Backend     : gsettings
    compizconfig - Info: Integration : true
    compizconfig - Info: Profile     : default
    ...the rest is really long, just compiz (core) loading plugins, except text failed.

I enabled text in CCSM, no more failed plugins, but compiz only works while running in terminal. I cannot coax it to stay. I can get it to look like it will, but when I close the terminal I get a blank vanilla desktop with the computer icon on it, just like when I first logged into the new account, only this one already has folders all over it. I can't launch applications except via terminal which has to be launched with Ctrl+Alt+T. This appears to be consistent with the other gnome classic varieties I tried, and in both accounts. Yet, Gnome-shell (Gnome 3) seems to be working normally in both accounts.

I believe the best course of action here would be to go with Gnome 3.

So what I have done is installed all the gnome-shell components (I'll list them later), including Gnome Tweak tools and I have my basic configuration back to normal. Instead of a classic shell, there are settings you can change in Tweak Tool to get close to a classic look and function. My workspaces work. I can log in and out smoothly and my windows open in my current window. The only things missing are adding app launchers to the top panel, but the Applications menu with the Activities overview kind of takes care of having things where I can find them, though less elegant imo. I can work now.
    Last edited by Luxx; January 22nd, 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you want to continue using a Gnome 2 like look, there's always the fork MATE. I believe that's what you were doing is using a gnome 2 style look and functionality.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mate was so extremely limited I couldn't use it. It's not a matter of aesthetics, like the devs seem to think. It's actually a matter of function. I've been customizing my computer to FUNCTION the way "I" want it to for 7 years and now I can't, except maybe I if go back to Fluxbox as my DE, which I might when I find the time to customize everything, but that's a big job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123