Thread: "Waiting for network configuration" error live DVD or USB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

"Waiting for network configuration" error live DVD or USB

I'm trying to install Lubuntu trusty daily iso on an old Acer Travelmate laptop, celeron cpu, 512MB ram, ATI 9000M graphics, which runs earlier versions up to 12.10 easily (not tried 13.04 or 13.10) and the boot to live system always fails with the system freezing at "Waiting for network configuration".

I have tried with a wired network, and with wireless adapter unplugged, and I have waited for a long time but nothing ever happens.

Anyone got any ideas how to get the live system to boot on this machine; is there a way to avoid the network configuration happening at live bootup stage, or am I just going to have to accept defeat?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: "Waiting for network configuration" error live DVD or USB

This might be a temporary bug in the daily build or a driver problem with the ethernet chip. What chip is it?

Have you tried the same iso in another computer?

Or tried the Ubuntu mini iso, that uses a different way to configure the network?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Is there a mini iso of 14.04? I couldn't find one when I looked.

Beans
    Hidden!

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...7691/downloads

It is a little confusing, but I think the netboot iso is an alias for the mini iso (and vice versa)

Furthermore, it is probably not updated daily as the desktop isos, but anyway, I think it can be worth testing.
    Last edited by sudodus; January 22nd, 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: sorry, the link was bad, but repaired now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Now the link to the iso on that page you linked to is giving me a
    Not Found
    The requested URL /ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/installer-i386/20101020ubuntu278/images/netboot/mini.iso was not found on this server.
    error. What is going on?

PS:
    The ethernet chip is a Realtek RTL-8139 which has always worked fine so far in the versions I have thrown at it. Wireless is a Netgear WG511v2 which needs ndiswrapper to work, and is working fine in all the versions so far where I have tried it, up to 12.10.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; January 23rd, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Now the link to the iso on that page you linked to is giving me a error.
    Try one of these..

Code:
    http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/archive/dists/devel/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
    Code:
    http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/archive/dists/devel/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry, the link was goofed, it contained a double http:// for some reason. I fixed it last night, and it should work now. So you should be able to get the current trusty mini iso either from there or from howefield's links

I think it is a bug in the daily build, that needs to be reported to be fixed. If noone has reported it to Launchpad already, maybe you have time to do it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A quick update after trying many times to get 14.04 working on this old laptop.

I kept trying new versions of the trusty iso updated with zsync, used the alternate install CD, and finally used the mini install iso, and not one of them managed to boot to a working system.

As very much a last resort I installed lubuntu 13.10, updated it fully then used the alternate install CD to update the saucy to trusty.
    At reboot I had the same problem as before.
    So I rebooted and chose the 13.10 kernel in grub, which at last led to a successful boot to the GUI, and a fully working system.

So, it seems that it is kernel 3.13.0-# that is the problem for my hardware. I have no idea what is behind that difficulty, as none of my other machines have had any hint of a problem, just this celeron with the ATI 9000M graphics. I even tried the boot option
    Code:
    live video=radeonfb:1024x768-32@60
    as found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...tation/FAQ/PPC just as a final attempt to boot but that did not help in any way.

Anyway, I now have 14.04 running well but with the 3.11.0-# kernel. I will shortly attempt to install the new 3.14 kernel final release to see if that is any more successful.

EDIT:
    I have just installed the 3.14 kernel, but it was a complete failure, just the same as the 3.13 version, so I appear to be stuck with the 3.11 default from saucy, which luckily works well.

I have tried to update the bug I filed but it is now expired so am unable to do so.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; April 1st, 2014 at 01:58 PM.