Thread: Total crash - I think due to wifi driver

Hybrid View

Beans

Total crash - I think due to wifi driver

Hi guys, upon re-installing Ubuntu I'm having a serious issue which I believe is being caused by my WiFi card. It was previously working, and I'm not sure how I got it to work before, I don't seem to be able to find the instructions anywhere.

I've tried installing while connected to the net and auto-downloading updates, I've tried without updates, I've tried various ways of installing the drivers. All end in the same result, random total crashes within a few mins of boot.

I'm 99% sure its due to the WiFi card, although I'm not all all sure why its going this wrong. I think I need to totally remove the WiFi drivers and start over but I'm not sure how at this point.
    The card is a BM4318 I believe. There is loads of info on the net about this card not working correctly but nothing like what I'm experiencing. And it WAS working fine before a re-install.

Im using 12.04, which is the same as before.

Heres the screen im left with:

Sorry its over 3 images, my camera doesn't seem to be able to grab the whole thing without distorting the text in places.

Any ideas? If any more info is required let me know.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Beans

Re: Total crash - I think due to wifi driver

Solved! (I hope)

Ok, it seems that ubuntu wants to install the bcmwl-kernel-source package as default (this i belive is the restriced drivers package). This is causing the problem.

What i did:

Code:
    dpkg -r bcmwl-kernel-source

dpkg -P bcmwl-kernel-source

apt-get install b43-fwcutter

modprobe b43 (not sure this did anything, no idea what mod probe does)
    reebooted
    Code:
    apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    reebooted and boom, seems rock solid! I think the trick was to remove and purge the bcmwl package before the crash. Seemed to be stable after that.