Thread: Animate windows to top when I have panel at top

Beans

Animate windows to top when I have panel at top

Hi everybody,

I need some help - in my Lubuntu - i have one panel at top and one on the left side.

When I minimize window, its going down - but there I dont have panel - I dont like it. I would like to minimize window to the top (i mean the animation of the window, when its minimizing...).

Is there any kind of options to change it?

Thanks for you help!

Beans

Re: Animate windows to top when I have panel at top

Nobody knows?

Beans

I dont know how to do it, a spend with that a lot of time...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just saw your thread. Different time zones

BTW, could you mention your CPU/RAM?

If you find the animation undesirable, just turn it off by editing your lubuntu-rc.xml: search for <animateIconify>yes</animateIconify> and change yes to no.

My feeling is that the animation effect is not specific to Lubuntu but something related to Openbox, which is the window manager Lubuntu uses. On the other hand, it is possible it somehow (I don't know how) is related to the type of panel. While the default Lubuntu panel is lxpanel, I'm using something else called tint2; with tint2, I can see the animation compacting to the parent icon in the toolbar and expanding from there to where the window will be position when I "restore" the window.

Beans
    Distro

I googled for "direction of animation in openbox" and the first hit (from 2010) pointed to this: OpenBox iconify animation. Quoting from there:
    I have noticed that when I use tint2 panel in openbox, the openbox iconify animation moves downwards regardless of where the panel is placed, however when I use xfce4 panel, the direction of the iconify/minimise animation is towards wherever the panel is located, ...
    So it seems the choice of panel somehow makes (or made) a difference!

As I said, currently I'm on tint2 (the version in the repos) and have it located at the top: the animation is upwards. I haven't tried other positions. Too lazy

Edit: here's another similar complaint (2009) about lxpanel: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=718

Maybe I'll give it a try as well and post back.

Okay, I just logged into a Lubuntu session with lxpanel at the top. The minimizing animation points down as if the panel was at the bottom. My system is fully updated and so I'm guessing this is a feature (aka bug) of the current lxpanel/LXDE/Lubuntu.
    Last edited by vasa1; January 29th, 2014 at 05:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matospalka View Post
    Nobody knows?
    I'm really sorry about that. I don't know how your question remained unanswered for so long. But my suspicion is that there aren't that many Lubuntu users around anymore

If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me with the link as soon as you've posted a question in the forum and I'll do my best to help or search for help.

Another trick you can try is to use the tags feature: so tag your question with "lubuntu", "lxde", and "openbox" (as appropriate).

Yet another thing you can do is to bump your post after every +24h if possible. It's allowed here. I wrote +24 so that a different set of people may see your question.

All the best.

Beans
    Distro

While my OS is Lubuntu 13.10, I prefer running the Openbox session instead of Lubuntu session. In the Openbox session, I use tint2 as my panel. And I just checked the animation on minimizing/maximizing: the animation properly follows the location of the panel, unlike what you and I see with lxpanel.

Beans

So it is a bug? If so, then I can do nothing with that. OK, I will keep my LXpanel on the bottom and hope, that somebody will repair this bug... Thank you very much...