Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 install on 64gb flash drive

Beans

Ubuntu 13.10 install on 64gb flash drive

Hello all, I am rather new to Linux but would like to get my feet wet. I don't want to install Ubuntu on my laptop yet however I want it on my flash drive so it is portable and easy to use on any computer that allows usb boot. I want to install the OS using the encryption method but I also want to partition the flash drive do Ubuntu gets 30Gb of space and the remaining 34 can be used as normal storage. I have watched a few YouTube videos but none of them have helped me figure out how to proceed. I also read the Ubuntu install guid with no luck. Is there a good way to accomplish this.

Some of you are probably wondering why I want the OS encrypted, well I don't want any data or personal information getting into the wrong hands and if the OS is encrypted it will be harder for some one to obtain this information.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 13.10 install on 64gb flash drive

I don't think it will work the way you want it. Once you installed the OS, it will be only tailored for the hardware on that system. It works differently than the live version.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Last edited by jp734; January 19th, 2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As long as you do not install proprietary drivers it should work. Issues can be video or wireless drivers and different systems may need different drivers. But it usually works.

Is system BIOS or UEFI. Not sure if possible to configure for both like live install is, but since live installer can be both there may be a way but do not know.

I have full install on 16GB flash with 8GB for install and 8GB for data. But Windows will only read NTFS (or FAT) on first partition, so if you want to also read data from Windows the first partition must be NTFS.

I do not (yet) have UEFI, but configured a new 32GB flash drive with gpt partitioning and both an efi partition and a bios_grub partition. I hope to configure to boot either BIOS or UEFI from that one, but have not been able to test.

Even on my USB2 ports I find my new USB3 flash drives are about 10% faster. But some systems will not boot from USB3 ports or have other issues. Depends on hardware and UEFI/BIOS.

Install to flash drive is just like any install to another drive or external hard drive, just better to make some settings to reduce writes for better life and a bit more speed. Writes are slow. If you have a fair amount of RAM once you load applications and do not use too many RAM caches recent activity, so not reloaded from flash and it is just as fast as any drive.

I now use gpt partitioning for all new drives including flash drives. But gpt will not work with XP. Newer Windows can read data partitions on gpt partitioned drives.

I used gparted and selected gpt under device, advanced & select gpt over msdos(MBR) default partitioning....

Pros & cons of persistence install over direct install to flashdrives - C.S.Cameron
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2133067
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1655412

Full install of 12.04 to 64GB USB device C.S.Cameron post #3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2092077

Code:
     Disk /dev/sdb: 31.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
     1      20.5kB  500MB   500MB   fat32        EFI System  boot
     2      500MB   501MB   1049kB                           bios_grub
     3      501MB   15.2GB  14.7GB  ext4         sys
     4      15.2GB  31.0GB  15.8GB  ext4         sys
    With SSD or Flash (trim does not work on flash) drives, Use ext4 without journal:
    sudo tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1
    sudo tune2fs -o discard /dev/sda1
    No swap or set swapiness or install 'Dynamic Swap Space Manager' from the Ubuntu Software Center
    After installing, change the fstab so that everything gets mounted with noatime.

I do not use Unity, laptop barely runs with it, but use fallback. If you want even lighter/faster consider Lubuntu. My flash boots both desktop with nVidia and laptop with Intel video. But I have no proprietary drivers.

I have not used encryption. You have two choices, full drive or /home. Full drive is LVM and separate /boot, you cannot use gparted with LVM.
    Last edited by oldfred; January 19th, 2014 at 06:07 PM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

ok thanks for the responses, is there something else you guys recommend? I need it to boot on every computer possible so I have a portable OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

is there something else you guys recommend? I need it to boot on every computer possible so I have a portable OS.
    Don't worry, you'll be able to boot, just try it.

Ubuntu is not Windows. Some proprietary operating systems which come in new computers are only intended for running in one computer and are even designed to self destruct if they detect too many hardware changes. The idea is to try to prevent piracy.
    Gnu/Linux operating systems like Ubuntu have the exact opposite motives. The operating systems are free in more ways than one. We are more than welcome to use as many copies of the operating system as we like and the operating system is not just designed to boot and run in almost any hardware, in most cases it can configure itself automatically on boot-up.

In the early days, only the Ubuntu Live CD was capable of automatically configuring for all kinds of hardware automatically during boot-up. The first version of Ubuntu to have a Live CD was 'Dapper Drake', (June 2006), and before that Knoppix was the only well known Gnu/Linux distro I can remember running a full GUI from a Live CD.
    Not quite two years later, Ubuntu 8.04 'Hardy Heron came out featuring the Xorg 7.3 Xwindow system from X.Org Foundation. From then on hard disk installed (or flash installed) Ubuntu has been able to set itself up automatically for most different computers hardware silently during boot-up.
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, (Oct 2008) was the version which introduced booting using file system uuid numbers rather than /dev/sdx,y type device numbering.
    After those changes it became simple to unplug a hard drive (or flash memory stick or SSD), and move it from one computer to another no matter if it's connected by IDE, SATA or USB.
    Over the years since then a lot of new hardware has come out and there have been a lot of improvements in the software and operating system too. Over time Ubuntu has just been getting steadily better and better and better. Now it's 2014 and Ubuntu can even set itself up for dual monitors by itself.

EDIT: One exception is the CPU architecture, if you want to be able to use your portable USB installation in as many different computers as possible, it is better to choose the i386 32-bit versions of your Ubuntu download. The i386 32-bit versions should boot up okay if the CPU only has a single core or if has multiple cores, but the amd 64-bit Ubuntu can only boot in dual core or multi core computers, not in a PC with a single core CPU.

You may find most USB flash memory drives a little slow and jerky since most of them are really only designed by the manufacturers to be used for file storage and transfer and most consumers tend to buy the cheapest ones. Performance will vary greatly between brands and models. You may find the operating system will run in fits and starts, especially in cheaper USB sticks. It wasn't so noticable in older hardware a few years a back. Now that most of us are spoilt with fast drives we expect smooth and snappy performance all the time. Tweaking the operating system settings goes some way towards improving the performance when running in flash. A hard drive or an SSD in an external USB Hard drive case or a more upmarket flash memory stick with some cache memory and some kind of RAID setup (similar to a SSD) would be best if you can buy one. I was against running an OS in a USB HDD for a long time, due to risk of it being dropped or jarred while spinning, but many new hard drives now come with motion detection systems that can park the heads very quickly to protect the drive when they sense they are falling. Hard drives tend to run more smoothly than flash.

Encryption will further slow the operating system down, but it would be better than leaving yourself exposed in the case of a USB flash drive being lost or stolen. Only another Gnu/Linux user would likely be able to access your files. The average Windows user would plug it in and Windows wouldn't recognise the file system (even unencrypted) and helpfully offer to format it. You can't be too safe though and encryption will only slow the operating system down a little.

It's great to have Ubuntu in any kind of drive, and all Ubuntu installations are portable these days. Ubuntu in a removable drive is extremely useful. You can do a multitude of tasks with it whether you are primarily a Gnu/Linux user or even is you are primarily a Windows user. If your portable Ubuntu boots in a computer when the regular operating system won't you immediately know there is an operating system problem, not hardware that's the source of the trouble. You can use it for working on your regular installed operating systems. Ubuntu is unaffected by Windows viruses and you can use it for file rescues and you can even use it to modify the Windows registry if you install the right programs. For Gnu/Linux installations, the regular Ubuntu install in a USB boots with GRUB2 and can be used to easily boot an other Gnu/Linux with bootloader problems. If your business involves repairing other people's computers there are terminal commands for identifying hardware too, so you can find out exactly what make and model numbers are for the replacement parts you'll need to hunt for. You can also carry your operating system around in your pocket and access all your internet accounts easily from anywhere in the world as long as there's a computer around that you can get the use of which can boot your USB. Being able to do things like that can save you a lot of time and are more than worth tolerating any slowness of the auxilliary Ubuntu operating system running in flash memory.

Mon Feb 9th 2014 - EDIT: I have just found out that trying to boot an older (pre-UEFI) version of Ubuntu, (previous to 13.10 amd 64-bit) can cause the new secure boot programs in some new computers, (at least the one I tried) into lock mode and they will block all subsequent attempts to boot any Ubuntu until the settings are corrected. In the one I worked on I had to set a password before I could gain access to those settings, and then I had to re-register shim, grub and Ubuntu in the EUFI's database of approved bootable programs. After that everything was okay again.
    Also it turns out that so far anyway, (I haven't had time to try very hard yet), the UEFI installation of Ubuntu I made in a USB flash memory doesn't seem to boot in my older computer with a traditional BIOS. So it seems like it will be a good idea to put stickers or some masking tape on our Ubuntu USB installations and mark them as 32-bit or 64-bit, and EUFI or non-EUFI ones and only boot them in the appropriate machines. Sorry, I was wrong, or partially wrong at least. I'm just beginning to get access to the newer hardware and my experience is limited to at this point in time. I'm used to the older BIOS type computers.
    Last edited by Herman; February 9th, 2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling Corrections & fix a few minor details & add more advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To Herman:

Wow! If all this is true, another Wow!
    I copied this answer just to show this to my friends.

Topsiho

Beans

cant you format it to fat anymore? that should be fine.

if your problem is actually making the usb stick bootable you can use mkfs and set a boot flag IIRC....
    or you can install you boot loader with syslinux

Code:
    sudo apt-get install syslinux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

FAT formatted with syslinux boot loader is the live installer version, which you would add persistence.

But with large flash drive a full install is much better.

Even with my 16GB full install I copied several repair ISO into data partition and directly boot those from grub2. Then I have a multi-tool repair and emergency boot drive.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I am using s Kingston 64gb data traveler. I would like to install the ubuntu onto the flash drve using the install ubuntu option the OS provides. however I am having little luck accomplishing the task. has any one accomplished this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast