Thread: Handbrake works perfectly! Why?!

Beans

Handbrake works perfectly! Why?!

A little background-

In the past- Handbrake, Winff and all of the other converting programs simply have been useless for me and that's why I've had to rely upon FFMPEG CLI.

I convert my videos and put them onto my iPod Classic 160g. Typically I've used (and hated) FFMPEG at the command line. Not being a programmer, and not wanting to be one, in complete frustration I installed Handbrake once again to see if it'd work.

Here's the odd part- it converts the videos I'm working with perfectly for my iPod. It's just perfect. I can take home video VOB files and Handbrake will convert them into one file which is playable on the iPod.

Would someone please tell me why it works?! Is it because all of Handbrake's dependencies have been met?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Handbrake works perfectly! Why?!

It always worked for me.

What do you mean all the other programs were useless?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    It always worked for me.

What do you mean all the other programs were useless?
    Always worked for you? Doing what? What were you trying to accomplish with it?

In the current project I've been working on- copy home videos onto my ipod- I'm taking VOB files and having them converted to something ipod video will play. I've spent hours upon hours with horrible results using ffmpeg which I think is because I don't know how to provide the correct code lines for the conversion. The ffmpeg users mailing list is more suitable for very advanced users of that program. And EVERYONE on the web has the ultra simple ffmpeg code line to show you how to convert videos for iPods.....but none of them work as they rely upon different versions of ffmpeg and most are simply out of date. For example- anytime I see a code line with "-acodec libfaac" in it I can be guarranteed it won't work as the current version of ffmpeg I'm using doesn't even have that codec.

Not working....

Simple- any time I've tried programs like Winff, Handbrake and similar they've never provided a useable file for my video iPod. Oh sure, the programs started and appeared on my screen but the resulting files they produced weren't agreeable to my iPod.

It's a matter of economy. I don't have the rest of my life to waste trying to get a program to work in the way it claims it can.

Since my original post I'm convinced it's a matter of dependencies.

Beans

I think it's just that bugs get fixed. I used to struggle with ripping too and I actually have a programming background. Ripping in Linux is a lot better nowadays and Handbrake makes it really easy (although I think its interface could use a few changes).

Beans

It's especially annoying with KDE since the dialog boxes are too large and not resizeable.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

It always works for me. Yeah, I use it to rip DVDS. Until now that my DVD drive is broken.