Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trusty to get a beta version of Grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trusty to get a beta version of Grub.

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    You see Windows7 as default...?
    Indeed. That is in case my wife encounters a reboot. Plus I like to keep my options open. There are things I cannot do in Ubuntu that I can in Windows; likewise there are things I cannot do in Windows but can in Ubuntu. Plus I like to play around with anything I can get my hands on.

Beans
    Distro

You see Windows7 as default...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Indeed. That is in case my wife encounters a reboot. Plus I like to keep my options open. There are things I cannot do in Ubuntu that I can in Windows; likewise there are things I cannot do in Windows but can in Ubuntu. Plus I like to play around with anything I can get my hands on.
    @zika, I forgot to mention that the custom grub menu idea's entire purpose was to make a static menu for those that dual boot or multi boot.
    Ranch hand taught me many things about grub; one of them was how to do the custom grub. I asked him if he minded if I made it into a How To. He didn't mind and in fact helped me.
    Drs305, now retired, also taught me much about grub and many other things like how to make and move partitions around and resize them.

If you only have Ubuntu and nothing else, there is no point in worrying about a static menu since 99% of the time you will select the first option.
    However since I multi boot I wanted Windows to be the default just in case it rebooted while my wife or son was using the PC.
    It became a pain to me because back in the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) days every time a new kernel was added I had to change the default line.
    That got old and that's when Ranch hand showed me how to make a custom grub menu. At first I was intimidated but eventually went for it. Judging from the number of views I would think that a lot of people have used this method to customize their grub menu. It had nearly as many views back when it was in the Tutorial section then it got converted to wiki format. Many have probably just took a gander at it while others have used it.

BTW, this beta Grub seems to work very well. It instantly goes into windows 7 or Ubuntu faster than any previous grub I have seen.

Beans
    Distro

@zika, I forgot to mention that the custom grub menu idea's entire purpose was to make a static menu for those that dual boot or multi boot.
    Ranch hand taught me many things about grub; one of them was how to do the custom grub. I asked him if he minded if I made it into a How To. He didn't mind and in fact helped me.
    Drs305, now retired, also taught me much about grub and many other things like how to make and move partitions around and resize them.

If you only have Ubuntu and nothing else, there is no point in worrying about a static menu since 99% of the time you will select the first option.
    However since I multi boot I wanted Windows to be the default just in case it rebooted while my wife or son was using the PC.
    It became a pain to me because back in the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) days every time a new kernel was added I had to change the default line.
    That got old and that's when Ranch hand showed me how to make a custom grub menu. At first I was intimidated but eventually went for it. Judging from the number of views I would think that a lot of people have used this method to customize their grub menu. It had nearly as many views back when it was in the Tutorial section then it got converted to wiki format. Many have probably just took a gander at it while others have used it.

BTW, this beta Grub seems to work very well. It instantly goes into windows 7 or Ubuntu faster than any previous grub I have seen.
    I only I knew that my simple joke would provoke You so much I would not have written it in the first place... Sorry for that...
    Making it static was possible all the way simply by referring to preferred entry with its (let's say) given name...

Beans
    Distro

^ Tell me something I didn't already know....

Beans
    Distro

^ Tell me something I didn't already know....

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I 'took a gander' onto that wiki of yours Cavsfan, sometime like a year back and reading that taught me one thing well:

if it ain't absolutely necessary, i mean absolutely, then keep away from messing the Grub

But really, thanks for putting such details all in one place, someday, one never knows when, it can come in real handy
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh 'Buntu-ishi krimpatul
    !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    I 'took a gander' onto that wiki of yours Cavsfan, sometime like a year back and reading that taught me one thing well: if it ain't absolutely necessary, i mean absolutely, then keep away from messing the Grub But really, thanks for putting such details all in one place, someday, one never knows when, it can come in real handy
    It is no where near as difficult as you make it seem. The more you read through it and understand the concept the simpler it gets. A simple gander will not cut it.

• If you only use Ubuntu; it is not for you.
    • If you dual boot and want it to default to Ubuntu; it is not for you.
    • If you dual boot or multiboot and want it to default to (the top) Ubuntu; it is not for you.
    • If the wiki is too difficult for you to understand; it is not for you.

If however you want to make a static grub menu and you want the default to be anything other than (the top) Ubuntu; it may be for you providing you can read and understand the wiki.
    You also can customize the background, the font, the font colors and everything that displays on the grub screen is up to you.

I couldn't find the original How To thread but the wiki thread has almost 30k views at present. I have had a lot of people say that they were glad they found it.

But, nice try though.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; February 14th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Seems you took me in a wrong way Cavsfan.

I multiboot and wanted the default(first choice) OS to be Debian. I read up your wiki. That got me thinking, about customizing Grub with not only changing default but also background and all.
    But, then I decided against it as I didn't want to mess up the Grub in the process, cause Murphy's Law seems to side me ever so often

The wiki was most informative and exhaustive and my post here was to only thank you and no more. There was no 'nice try though'
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh 'Buntu-ishi krimpatul
    !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    Seems you took me in a wrong way Cavsfan.

The wiki was most informative and exhaustive and my post here was to only thank you and no more.
    Sorry for misinterpreting your intentions and you are welcome. You seemed to imply that it was too difficult to customize Grub via the wiki.

It appears intimidating at first but the more you look at it and the more you understand it, the simpler it gets. That's how it was with me.
    I probably put more details in it than necessary but I just wanted to explain it all.

You control every bit of text that displays on the screen at bootup (except for the grub version number displayed at the top of the screen).
    Once customized, you never have to touch it again unless you remove/add an OS or change partitions on anything.

Cheers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast