Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CANON D530 PRINTER INSTALL; Finding Extracted Files

Beans

CANON D530 PRINTER INSTALL; Finding Extracted Files

Found Canon recommended Driver File on their European Site. I Downloaded and extracted it, then installed it. I can not find the file anywhere to direct the "Add Printer, Printer - Localhost" function to the file. The Printer - Localhost Screen Device URI: says it is at "CNUSB:/dev/usb", but once I navigate there in Terminal, nothing shows up. I have looked in the /etc and /dev folders, but nothing is there regarding the driver file.

How can I use the Find, Locate, or Whereis commands to fine the file? Any other suggestions?

Spike

Beans

Re: CANON D530 PRINTER INSTALL; Finding Extracted Files

Maybe look at the installation script, or give us the link to the driver so we can examine it, to see which files it creates/copies and where.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

"I will be glad to provide assistance. A Linux driver can be downloaded from the Canon USA website at this address:

"http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_d530#DriversAndSoftware"

1. Verify that the correct operating system is automatically detected. If not, click on the drop-down arrow, scroll down to the bottom and click on Linux.

2. Click on Drivers.

3. Click on the File Description link for UFR II Printer Driver for Linux Version 2.70.
    You will also see a Disclaimer at the bottom. Review the disclaimer and click I Agree - Begin Download.

Note: Clicking I Decline - Go Back will take you back to the available downloads list.

Please let me know if you need further assistance regarding your imageCLASS D530.

Thank you for choosing Canon."

This is the email I received from Canon locating the correct driver.

Thank you for your help.

Spike

Beans

I'm sorry. 73 MB is too large size for my gprs connection which is currently limited at 2.5 KB/s (unbelievable, but that's what I get 28 days a month). I'm afraid you'll have to find and post the installation scripts yourself, unless someone else with a fast internet connection can analyse the package and post back relevant info for us here.

A typical approach to find the installation files is to start with the file that you started the installation with (open it on text editor and read what it does), then check other scripts it calls and see what other scripts they in turn call and what do they all create/copy and where. Usually it is just a conditional combination of three-four scripts in a driver installation package. But I can't predict how complex it may get with a 73 MB package.

Alternatively, you can use easy to use search programs like "SearchMonkey" (sudo apt-get install searchmonkey) to search files modified within a particular date range (it works like a gui frontend to grep and find combined). Although I'm not sure 'date modified' criteria would give you the desired results.
    Varun

Beans

Went through the downloaded Canon file in a Text Editor to see the files that came in. I could not identify anything that would start it, or where the files were put once extracted & installed. I do not know how to make up a "script", so I am dead in the water with it. When I need a back up printer, I guess I will have to close Ubuntu and bring up Windows. Windows runs, with the included CD, all the functions with no problems.

Thank you for the help. Tough nut to crack when Canon does not really support Linux.

Spike

Beans

Going back to your first post -
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeLS6 View Post
    I Downloaded and extracted it, then installed it.
    Maybe tell us 'How' you installed it ? How you started the installation etc. We can take it from there.

I'm assuming that the 73 MB package is a 'Source' package which needs to be compiled then installed. If so, just give me the first file that started the installation, and I should be able to ask you for the exact other files (with their relative paths) that it might have used to proceed the installation.

Lengthy, but possible approach if you wish to try it.
    Varun

Beans

Yes, I would love to follow you along to see if we can get it working. I am in uncharted waters.

I first downloaded the recommended Canon Driver File: "http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_d530#DriversAndSoftware". I opened the "/home/michael/Downloads/Canon D530 Drivers/Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V270_us_EN.tar.gz" file in Archive Manager and clicked EXTRACT.

Then I drilled down the extracted "Linix_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V270_us_EN, to 32-bit Driver, to Debian, then opened the "cndrivcups_common__2.70-1_i386.deb, again I think, in Archive Manager to install it.

When I bring up "PRINTERS, Local Host" from Search your Computer, I ADDED the Generic-PCL-Laser printer that was there. I double clicked the ICON for Properties. In the Properties, I have:
    Description: Canon D530
    Device URI: cnusb:/dev/usb/
    Make & Model: Canon D530/D560 UFRII LT ver.2.7
    Printer State: Idle

A test page will not print, but the screens say that the job was submitted and gives a job number.

I did find the Canon D530/D560 UFRII LT ver.2.7 this time by checking each individual entry under Canon. Still submits the print job, but nothing prints.

Is this enough to get started?

Spike

Beans

.deb files are installer packages themselves. By default they open (and get installed) with Package Managers, not Archive Manager. Although you may choose to open it with your Archive Manager.

What was the .deb file's size? If not too large, can you attach it here? Else take a look at its contents (by opening it with Archive Manager). Apart from the "DEBIAN" folder in it, usually its contents are located in the same directory structure as they would be placed while installing. Just extract the "controls" file from the "DEBIAN" folder inside the .deb package. This is a simple text file that 'Controls' the installation process of a .deb package. Post it back if posting the whole .deb file is not possible (due to large size).

By the way, if you found your printer model and are still unable to use it, I doubt I can help anymore, but let's just see what the .deb package you got has to offer.
    Varun

Beans

You are correct; I did Install the file with GDebi Package Manager. It gave no errors once finished.

The Extraction produced two .deb files with the following file sizes:
    Canon D530 Drivers/Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V270_us_EN/32-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-common_2.70-1_i386.deb - 1.5 MB Archive
    Canon D530 Drivers/Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V270_us_EN/32-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-ufr2-us_2.70-1_i386.deb - 13.3 MB Archive

Can you be a little more specific on finding the "Controls" file from the "DEBIAN" folder inside the .deb package? I have tried to locate it, but can not find it.

If the smaller 1.5 MB .deb file is postable, how can I do that?

One step at a time, and thank you again for the help.

Spike

Beans

This is new. While in the Printer - Localhost screen, I noticed that the printer properties screen showed the Printer not connected. I turned it on and the Printer State advised that it was activating, then reported that "Processing - Unable to open USB device "cnusb:/dev/usb/": Is a directory"

The Device URI is indeed "cnusb:/dev/usb/"

Does this help any?

Spike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast